Oil Filter for early DB?

MikeC5

Has anyone tried to put a low restriction oil filter on a 4 cylinder? I know the oil pump only tops out at 4 - 5 psi, so pressure drop across the filter would be critical. I thought of adding a finer mesh screen over the original screen but would rather have something better that can go in line after the pump. I know some will say it just isn't necessary for the few miles that will be put on the car each year but having essentially no oil filter does bug me... Maybe an air filter too..

Mike, I think you're only asking for trouble adapting filters to the Dodge. First of all, nothing can get in your oil except through the air intake and that's a little dust maybe, if you spend a lot of hours on dry dusty roads. Carbon from combustion will too, but with the right oil, it will settle out, or just change the oil when it darkens to your shade of choice. Air filters are mostly of the screen type, which will keep only large stones out. The paper and screen type filters don't have enough square inches of area for the amount of air needed for the proper mixture. They have been known to become saturated with fuel, which could lead to catastrophe. Just keep your splash pans in place. I've been driving antique auto's since 1971 with no factory filters, many miles on all types roads, tearing down those engines 20 years later to find NO wear from the non-use of filters!!!

Purolators were standard equipment on Chryslers cars from the beginning. I dont however see a kit being offered at any time for the early Dodge 4 cyl cars.

Mike, I know you want what's best for your engine and it's understandable you feel nervous about not having a fine mesh filter fitted but I have to agree with Pete - I think you are worrying too much. I would think you would only need to get into filtration issues if you converted to a pressurised system with shell bearings; these old engines can take a lot more punishment than you would want to give and regular oil changes will be enough. As to air filters; Pete has given us all yet another education - there's no substitute for experience !

Ray

Mike

Forget the filter idea. What you have to consider in the first place is the purpose of a filter. Filters are designed to work with detergent oils. A detergent oil has the ability to hold contaminents in suspension and these are removed when the oil is passed through a filter. Filtering becomes a critical factor in ensuring long life from the relatively hard facing used in modern shell bearings which have little tolerance to contaminationg particles in the oil.

Your Dodge uses relatively soft babbit-faced bearings. These are able to cope with the relatively unsophisticated single grade non-detergent oils available when they were new. In fact, you are better to continue using a single grade non or low detergent oil which does not hold too much crud in suspension. A modern high detergent oil will circulate what it picks up and sends it through your bearings. As you may have found, with a non-detergent oil said crud will drop into the pan and may be cleaned out at irregular intervals. In these circumstances the mesh screen fitted to the pump intake is ok providing it remains over the crud level.

I maintain with all my cars, old and modern, the cheapest maintainence you can do is to change the oil regularly. Get the crud out early and you will have no problems.

Cheers

Tony

I know you guys are right. I guess it's the years of conditioning exhorting you to change your oil & filter at regular intervals that makes me think 'no filter = bad'. Come to think of it, the smaller, single cylinder Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines don't use oil filters and they seem to handle it O.K. I will be sure to keep it non-detergent oil though.