56 special good deal?

trafalger

Guest Rob McDonald

JOSEPH, it's in your neighbourhood (sort of) and the price is right for a solid car. Go see it. You might not fall in love but that's how you'll get to know the cars in your target vintage. Certainly be prepared to think about it for a week or so - don't go with a wallet full of cash. And don't panic, this is not the sort of car that excites a flurry of other potential buyers. It's going to be rather plain, compared to your loaded Electra. Options might be limited to a radio and Dynaflow, maybe power steering and/or brakes.

There's a lot to be said for a simple Buick, though. I hope the visit is a positive experience.

It's really crazy to think the car has sat for a couple of years. Persumably it has sat where it is in the pictures. Dirt is not a 56 Buick's friend. Even if it's dry dirt, which NC most likely is not, it will still cause seious undercarriage problems. I'd be very careful about one sitting like this for several years.

....Car was running when parked but has been sitting a few years = love that line

honestly - I f you are not looking for a 4 door Sedan - I'd hold off until I found something i really wanted

I am not a huge fan of the tourback 4 door cars - unless they are un-molested survivors

my .02

Cars dissolve in water. Rainwater works best. It runs off body panels and etches the chrome from bumpers. "Rain tracks" are the dull areas that stripe downward from the hood/fender gap most commonly. Over the years I have seen a lot of fresh paint jobs with those lines on the chrome. And many of them are advertised as "always garaged".

Rain water (and wash water) also gets past window seals and down cowl vents. On a car that sits outside the water just sits there too, wetting mouse nests and making rot lines in the doors at the water line.

I think I was around 45 years old when I decided my next car was not going to be spotted behind a barn or sitting by a hedge row. I was pretty sure from then on my next car was sitting in a garage somewhere.

It has been close to 20 years and just remembering they dissolve in water helps. Now, that doesn't me I can't get mindless and ignore my own advice. It is a sickness, you know.

Bernie

JOSEPH, it's in your neighbourhood (sort of) and the price is right for a solid car. Go see it. You might not fall in love but that's how you'll get to know the cars in your target vintage. Certainly be prepared to think about it for a week or so - don't go with a wallet full of cash. And don't panic, this is not the sort of car that excites a flurry of other potential buyers. It's going to be rather plain, compared to your loaded Electra. Options might be limited to a radio and Dynaflow, maybe power steering and/or brakes.

I agree with Rob. Can't hurt to look. OBO. Remember that at this time it is probably worth $450.00 at the crusher. So look. Make an offer if you like it. Not too much to loose.

Ben