Transmission shifting problem

Guest breather

Guest breather

I have a 1990 Reatta with approx 99k miles on it. In the morning when the trans is cold. it will go in gear and not shift into next gear. After revving a little, it will go into the next gear and run fine for the rest of the day. If I put a can of Seafoam Trans Tune in it, it will shift fine for a few days.

I would hate to have to put another tranny in it if It isn't necessary. Could it be a shift modulator or vacuum modulator problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also am looking for the passenger door outside moulding. The Reatta is Black.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Guest waxbgone

Three of my four Reattas had the same problem. I anxiously await the answer. I always thought it was a sticky pressure regulator valve, and Seafoam is a (temporary) fix.

Guest RaverReatta

Heat and cool expand and contract things. The parts inside your transmission may just be worn down enough that when they are cool they don't "grab". After a car warms up all its' little parts do as well. Could be time for a rebuild or repair, or could be just a good idea to let it idle and warm up (good to do in cold weather anyway), and rev the engine a few times like you said.

My Black does it when it is "winter" cold. Had the tranny flushed. Now I fire it up, back out of garage, sit in the driveway [in reverse] for 10-20 seconds, finish backing out of the driveway, then drive away a little aggresively, shifts great. Only issue I ever had was 1st into 2nd.