Head gasket replacement advice

Guest Bill Miller

Guest Bill Miller

Hi everybody,

I have a very slight coolant leak in front of cylinder 1 on my '15 DB tourer. Coolant is weeping below the top hose gooseneck at the head gasket. No, it's not coming from the hose but is seeping between the head and the block at the gasket. I have re-torqued the head to no avail so I'm going to replace the head gasket. QUESTION: I've seen printed articles in various old car magazines both advising in favor of and advising against the use of spray-on gasket sealant when replacing the head gasket. Anyone with experience at this? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Bill:confused:

Hi Bill It would't hurt to check both the head and the block surfaces for straightness while you have the head off As a child I can remember old back yarders painting a used head gasket with a paint called Silver Frost and re using the old gasket No one had much money them days in the little timber mill town that I grew up in There were some sucesses and failures but as I said they were back yarders Cheers Ron

Most old time mechanics used to smear a layer of GREASE onto the gasket first. This DOES work, but these days, a better alternative is "Ultra Copper" made by the Permatex people. Use the spray can type, do both sides of gasket. It won't leak. Gotta have a FLAT mating surface, no matter what, between head and block.

I like using the silver paint but thats only if I have it handy which is not too often, if its a new gasket and there are no other issues like warpage, crack ect ( should have all that checked while its off ) than you shouldnt have any problems it after bolte on.

Get new head bolts BTW

Guest Bill Miller

I want to thank all who have responded. New gasket with spray permatex ultra copper installed and all is well. I have the head bolts torqued to 35 lbs hot. I can't find any specs on a recommended torque setting other than to torque the bolts "tight". Any recommendations?

Bill

Guest Fast Four Special

I would torque to 55-60 cold with plenty of anti-sieze on the threads. Retorque after a couple of heat cycles and nver worry about it again.

Guest Bill Miller

Thanks Bill, Pete, and Fast Four. I expected that 35 lbs was not enough but didn't want to tighten further without advice. Much appreciated.