Old Magazines - help

X-Frame

Does anyone have access to the Horseless Carriage Foundation Automotive research Library "or" have the following magazines from 1929: Automotive Industries - Volume 60; Automobile Trade Journal - Volume 34.

There are articles and possibly pictures of the 1929 Stutz Blackhawk.

Any help appreciated Thanks...

Eric

Eric,

Give the AACA Library & Research Center a try. Huge amount of info not to mention a full time staff should you care to speak with anyone. Chris and staff are absolutely thorough and great in actual research. (On the Home Page of this AACA website click on Library) or...

AACA Library

Regards,

Peter J.

Good idea but wouldn't be financially sound for seeking out 1 or 2 pages in a magazine and many of these old auto publications prior to the 1920s are available for free on Google Books searches. Was hoping someone that has a membership could help out? Thanks!

Eric

I am a member of the HCFI. The HCFI is a nonprofit that is dedicated to the preservation of automotive literature and as such it has a whole lot of expenses. Why would a member want to help you out for free when we have donated money a lot of times with the object of preserving history rather than getting a certain quantity of material. I have made other donations strictly for this reason. I am not privy to the financial statements Of the foundation but I suspect that the dues do not cover it's expenses. The relatively low cost of the dues should be an inexpensive way to enjoy the old car hobby and know that you are helping to preserve some worthwhile history. If you can get the material for free off of the internet by all means do it and if you can get it from the AACA library great also. Remember that the AACA library is not free either as we all pay dues. As the memberships at HCFI are done on a calender year you might want to wait until October when your membership will lat until the end of 2013. It is quite likely that you may find other uses for some material from them during this time.

nickelroadster

Because it is supposed to be all about sharing, promoting the hobby and not being a bunch of braggart elitists. A bunch of spoiled children who don't want to share their toys. I know not everyone is that way but there are quite a few out there.

I know people have spent time and money but there a purpose for it - sharing the spoils for others to use rather than collecting dust in a garage.

My purpose it to write a book and need materials for it. I give credit where it is due and would hope people would like to have their name promoted in such a cause that will benefit not only historians and researchers but preservationists and restorers. I am trying to fill a void where others have failed to offer information for - chassis design and history mainly centering on X-Braced and cruciform designs.

Because it is supposed to be all about sharing, promoting the hobby and not being a bunch of braggart elitists. A bunch of spoiled children who don't want to share their toys. I know not everyone is that way but there are quite a few out there.

When you're asking something from a group of people whose sense of fair play is as great as your sense of entitlement, of course you're going to run-up against a brick wall.

Is there an Occupy movement on the forum now, too?