New Kid........

Hey,<BR> I have just bought a pristene 65 Galaxie Custom. But I have a few questions. <BR>First what do you all think the car is worth? Its a 1965 Galaxie Custom, 4dr, w/ a 352 and a crusie-o-matic tranny. 107K on th OD. Excellent records and has been in a garage for the 17 years before I bought it. The interior is in excellent shape, the only problem is a little worn carpet and a small tear in the seat (I plan to pull the bench seat and store it while I use a set of buckets). The exterior is also in good shape with the front end being a little faded as it was the end exposed to the sun. well theres a summary of the car, if you need any more info just let me know. Any educated guess would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stellar, it doesn't seem to have any rare options and is a 4 dr. Your not going to retire on this one, just drive it and enjoy it. What's it worth? exactly what you paid for it.

yeah thats kinda what I fuigured. I'm not a "HUGE FAN" of this car but it has all my respect. I dont want to make huge gobs of $ off her, just dont want to lose my ass on it. Looked her up on NADA.com and got a $1,075 estimate, close to what I payed so I'll reapir what little is wrong and Love this car! Thank you!

You mentioned pulling the bench seat with a rip in it and using a set of buckets. Are the buckets correct for that car or will you have to make them fit? One problem I've seen with so-called less desirable cars is that their owners make some changes to dress them up and they end up butchering the original features and end up hurting the value of their car. If the car starts off as not too valuable, any bad choices make it that less desirable. Please think before you do anything.

There was a time I'd have turned up my nose at a four-door, but since the 1976 Olds Regency fell out of the sky on me I've come to like four-door hardtops immensely. Stylish, higher-line cars, often nicely optioned and well-maintained. And affordable too!<P>I'd say leave the Galaxie (or is it a Custom? there were differences) as is and enjoy it. You'll get looks and thumbs-up, especially if it's in real nice shape. Spend a little time and money on the car and do it the way it's supposed to be. No velour or tweed, or cheesy diamond-tuck vinyl, just match the original type Ford cloth best you can. And above all, drive the car and enjoy it. It doesn't do anyone any good if it's not used and seen.

Last year I set out to buy a mid-fifties Oldsmobile and soon came to realize a 2-door was beyond my means. I found a "54" 4-door sedan in excellent condition at the upper limit of my price range. I'm very happy and for a 4-door, it's a sharp car. <BR>I agree, that if you can, keep the car as original as possible. That way it shows people the look of the era, a piece of history.<BR>The extra doors are nice when you pick up passengers to get in the back, they have their own personal door!!<BR>The mid-sixties Galaxy is an impressive, comfortable cruiser and I'm sure it'll turn some heads regardless of the amount of doors! wink.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

Wagons and pick-ups used to be laughed at. Just try and find a 50's or 60's pick-up for a decent price. I agree keep it as stock as possible and it would be a wonderful car for a family looking for a cruiser. Enjoy! Doug BCA#33850 cool.gif" border="0

Guest boettger

I was amazed at the Hershey car corral last year. I've never seen so many nice station wagons for sale. They are quite unique collecor cars. Some of them were very nice.<BR>I think that you will see the value of the survivors increase, as most of them were used and abused as working man's vehicles and family trucksters. Station wagons are cool!

The "less-valuable old car" (like my '62 Continental) is especially great for those of us that want to share our love of old cars with our young kids, as well as the entry-level hobbyist or first-time restorer. We still love our cars, but we don't have to obsess about spilling pop on the upholstery. Also, I have installed seatbelts on a couple of my early-60's cars. While this will sound like heresy to the purists, it's the only way that I'll let my kids ride in the car. If the day ever comes that I can't share the joy of my old cars with others (especially kids), I'll sell them. Along the same line, I installed a dual-reservior brake system on my '63 Sunbeam. It's not original, but it could be a life-saver in the event of a brake problem.