1967 Buick Skylark Hardtop

Matt Harwood

Super solid, rust-free car with a recent frame-on restoration, and thankfully not a fake GS wanna-be. New Riviera Red paint (original color code H Green Mist), fresh black bucket seat interior with console, ice cold factory A/C, recently rebuilt 340 with 2-barrel carburetor. The owner has spent quite a bit on this car recently to bring it up to his exceptionally high standards (he owns a fleet of AACA and CCCA-winning machinery), and I suspect his perfectionism prevents him from realizing any profits on the sales of his cars.

I was blown away by how good this car looks in person, but even more so by how it drives. The 340 makes plenty of power, even with a 2-barrel carburetor, and I think the Riviera Red paint is a much better choice. Bodywork is laser-straight and completely rust-free, and the only real flaw I can find is a fingernail-sized chip on the edge of one of the fender skirts. There's absolutely no trace of the original color anywhere in or under the car, so the paint job was done on a completely disassembled car. Floors, including the trunk, are spotless originals with no patches or replacement parts. Chrome is excellent, with many replated or replaced parts, and the only areas showing their age are the rear bezels around the taillights, which are original.

The black bucket seat interior is a rare find, and according to the cowl tag, it's correct (code 198=black vinyl, B=bucket seats). New carpets, door panels, seat covers have been installed, and the headliner was custom made just for this car because the owner didn't like how the one from the interior kit fit. Everything works, including the A/C which has an R134a conversion, although one of the heater levers is missing its knob, which is just about the only fault I can find inside. The factory-issued AM radio remains in the dash, with a new AM/FM/CD stereo head unit stashed in the glove box feeding a pair of 6x9 speakers on the rear package shelf. And although it isn't shown in photos, there is a matching spare tire that goes with the car. New rubber seals installed throughout, including trunk, doors, and window fuzzies, making this car silent on the road and completely rattle-free.

The engine is a 340 cubic inch V8. The odometer shows 56,560 miles, but there's no way to know whether that's authentic, although the engine and transmission have been recently rebuilt so I'm thinking it must be the second trip around. It starts quickly without any pumping of the accelerator, and idles perfectly right off the bat. Very impressive. The front suspension was recently rebuilt, and new brakes have been fitted at all four corners. Dual exhaust probably wasn't standard with the 2-barrel engine, but it sounds great without being too loud. Stylish Buick Road Wheels are fitted with 14-inch Goodyears that still have a lot of life left in them, but I think I'd install some redlines if this were my car.

A really nice Buick that needs nothing to enjoy as-is, or just a few tweaks to be a show car. Asking only $18,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-1431391148_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114803_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114806_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114808_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114811_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114813_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114816_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114818_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114821_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114823_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114825_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139114828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
typo (see edit history)

I think on a car like this there's really no harm. It looks great and the owner did it the way he wanted it rather than worrying about judging (he has a garage full of trailer queens that are immaculate). This one is a driver for him. I'm glad he at least chose a factory color and went with a correct interior and didn't really modify anything aside from the radio in the glovebox. It's just a great-driving, ultra-clean old Buick that could be a lot of fun for someone. I had a blast driving it, the A/C works as intended, and it gets a ton of attention out on the road. I don't know how the judges would score it, but incorrect color notwithstanding, it's quite good. Admit it, we've all seen more extensively (and questionably) modified cars on the show field and gave them a pass, right?

• 4 months later...

Drop dead gorgeous! Who cares what the judges would do on the field? Go for a drivers award if it's that big a concern.

Seems to me that 67 skylarks are everywhere these days. But there is something about this one that really fuels the imagination of a long open road.