Lock tab washers - where to buy?

aussiecowboy

Hi all,

My 29 Pontiac has a pair of washers behind the nut holding the rear wheels on. They are the type that key into the shaft and you bend the tabs up around the nut. The tabs are mostly broken off now and I want to replace them but can't find them anywhere, does anyone have a source for them? The shaft size is 7/8".

I know I can drill the axle and go to a castle nut as a last resort but I'd prefer not to. Machine shops are telling me to use a nyloc but I don't trust them enough, it is the only thing holding my back wheels on!

Thanks.

It is best and quickest to make this sort of nthing yourself. The time you waste searching in vain, and the money you would have to pay someone to make them, mean that you shold really equip yourself with a suitable selection of equipment; otherwise your hobby can transform into a financial drain. Material of choice may be 20 gauge panel steel. From a centre punch, scribe two circles with dividers, one smaller to allow for the depth of the inner tooth. You then scribe the sides of that tooth which you cut carefully withfine cut hacksaw. Then you drill a large hole in the centre, and cut the rest out either with good quality snips, (left and right hand), or with a diegrinder and tungsten carbide burr, if you have that.

The material quality of nylock nuts is questionable. One really clever person used them on the conrod bolts of a straight 8 Amilcar or similar, and the thermoplastic lost its memory. ( By contract, the similar self-locking nuts on WW2 USA military equipment were excellent quality and reliability, even though they were not intended for re-use. The self-threading material was red fibre, or similar.)

The other cheap and reliable solution is to clean the threads rigorously, use a flat washer, and a suitable grade of Loctite or similar. The nuts will not shift till you undo them.

I agree with you for the most part, my situation is a litte unique though. I work on an oil rig so for 4 weeks at a time I have LOTS of time to search for parts. If I can find and order these while at work, they'll be waiting for me when I get home and installation will be a 5 minute job. For the couple of hours it will take me to make them once I'm home, I'd rather spend that time on another part of the restoration.

I'd never use a nyloc on conrods, that's just asking for trouble, they don't do well with oil or heat from my experience. I know the WW2 nuts you mean, they are excellent, I rebuilt a 1944 Ford Jeep for a friend last year so got familiar with them. The Loctite is probably a good option also, worth some thought.

Oh and Bentley, I have visited several bearing supply companies, can't get them in a suitable size.

Guest fordy

I have the same issue working on my Hupmobiles. Lock Tab washers on everything!

Just recently I have had some parts laser cut and was impressed with the detail so I am probably going to draw up the ones I need in Auto Cad and have a full sheet of tab washers cut. I am going to end up with a dozen lifetimes worth but at least I will have them.

Guest fordy

Just drew some up for the Hupp 3/4ID & 1 1/4ID. Other sizes to add later.

Lots of room left on a full 1200 x 2400 sheet of 1mm!, how many do I need!!

Send me a PM with the dimensions you need, rough sketch even, size of internal tab (if any) and size & number of external tabs etc. I will add a dozen or so to the job to suit what you need. How soon do you need them?

Cheers

Steve

Just go to a bearing house and ask for a skf lock washer they come by a number like a # 10 might be 3/4' and so forth. I know because i used them all of the time. if you can not find them.let me know and iwill get them for you. Kind of a waste of money because they are available evey where.

John Hanson

I had a look at them John but they didn't suit. The nut on the axle is extremely thick, that is from the internal threaded side to the outer hex side is abnormally large. It would have covered the whole skf washer and left little to no tab exposed.

Fordy, I appreciate the offer but I had a slow night at work last night so went down to the machine shop and knocked a pair out. For safety sake I'm going to team them up with a pair of Stover lock nuts. Out of curiosity, what model Hupp do you have, I have a friend with a 29 Roadster.

Guest fordy

I have 2 x '23 and 1 x '24 series R tourers, 2 are restored and regularly used and one of the 1923's is a scrapheap challenge of trying to resurect junk left over that a sane person would have crushed.

If your friend subscribes to the Hupmobile Register he would be familiar with the '24 as its restoration was documented in it over the last 4 or 5 years.

I agree that the few types available "off the shelf" seldom suit the job at hand in regard to the tab sizing and how they suit the application.

Laser cuting just isn't that expensive if you draw it all out yourself and you find the right guy. Sure its overkill having so many done but then they are always available if a buddy needs some too.

I hand cut some a while back and they took ages. Sure I dont pay for my labour but if it costs me a couple of hundred bucks for a thousand to be lasered out and it frees my time up for more interesting jobs then I see it as worth it.

John Deere garden tractors use an M73054 washer. I dosn't have the outside tabs but the modern way is to bent one of the exposed sides up to lock the nut. The inside tab does not go into the axle keyway but goes into the hub keeway. I have used these for at least 25 years. The other number on the bag is 020710DY4-144