Questions about 1987 Riviera "Gold Edition"?

NCReatta

So I was at the BCA Nationals in Concord last month, and there was a fellow there from Western NC with a '87 Riviera. It had approx. 20k miles on it, and still smelled like a new car inside (literally).

It had what he called the "Gold Package" I believe. It had 15" wheels painted gold in places (instead of factory grey). Looked like these: post-62980-143139098928_thumb.jpg

It also had a two-tone blue (i think) on top, and gold on the bottom paint job, and a light tan leather/suede interior. Fully loaded except for sunroof. Very beautiful car. Rather bummed I didn't get any pictures of it.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had any info on these? How many were made, why they were made, etc.

Thanks for any info!

I "Googled" 1987 Riviera Gold edition and got a couple of good hits. From what I could tell, the option included three things 1) two tone paint - gold bottom. It didn't specify what the top colors could be or had to be. 2) Gold painted wheels, and 3) "Specail" trim. There is a note about the gold package on the ROA's website under the Production Numbers link, and there is a a Gold Edition brochure for sale on ebay. You can enlarge it enough to read it.

The Riv belongs to ROA member Bob Jamieson of NC. The Riv is black over gold. Ed & Nathaniel; you guys might remember seeing the Riv at the 2007 ROA meet in Asheville. Its also "June" in the 2012 ROA Calendar.