Leather N.C. License Plate

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Stumbled across these today in an old building. Need to find the owner and make an offer. I couldn't breath and got nervous for a little while when I saw them.... Especially the leather one. I could have taken them but thats not what I am about.

The plate is leather. Couldn't see a date. Has to be older than 1916.

What is the leather plate worth.?? What would be a reasonable offer??

Looks to be in remarkable shape. It is nailed to the wall in an old office building.

Bill Harmatuk

post-55453-143139096067_thumb.jpg

post-55453-143139096092_thumb.jpg

Leather plate's were homemade, you were issued a licence number, and made your own tag.

Soooo... everybody that owned an automobile had numbers and letters in the shed.

There was an episode of Pickers, where they found a leather license plate, and they went crazy with bidding / offers.

Just saying.

Bill H

Guest Mochet

You could also purchase leather plates from companies advertising in the old car magazines. These were often sewn over a metal frame and had a more professional look. Early leather plates can bring over a thousand depending on the history, if known, and a low number. There's usually one or more on eBay.

Phil

Guest Foggy norm

Some number's can be traced to specific people and the vehicle's they owned. If you bought another car, that tag would follow you. The leather tag you have pictured may just be a novelty for the rest of the collection, it's the same size as a modern plate (granted you could make it any size). Most pre 1910 leather tag's I've seen were more the size of the 1916 in the pic and really courled up. If your interested in the collection, the ceramic (16') would be the one that's difficult to find, minimal chipping is the best.

Guest Foggy norm

Bill, if they have "been hanging around", you probably can get them at a reasonable price. Ceramic's are the scarce one's and don't set well to being repaired, that one in the pic is nice, no chipping in the center. Price is always determined by what someone is willing to pay, set your limit and start low, no such thing as a low ball, it's saving a buck.Some michigan ceramic's have gone well over 300$ to 500$ (almost chip free), but Mi has an aluminium tag applied also with rivit's.

It's obvious I'm not going to change your mind about the leather one, personally, it appear's to me it was made by someone with a restored brass era vehicle.

Prestate licenses numbered just under 7,000 (most were leather) in NC up to 1913. The 1916 porcelain issues numbered to 26,256. Porcelain plates typically survive in greater numbers than leather and even steel in many early jurisdictions. All of that means there are far more 1916 NC than leather NC plates. If the leather is an original (it appears to be, to me, based on the photo, but it should be examined closely, in person by someone familiar with leather plates) it's value would definitely exceed that of the 1916.

As far as Michigan (or any other state)-all states' plates values are different. Porcelain Michigan plates (1910-1914) are relatively common, but there are a lot of collectors, so that helps keep the values high. Yes, low number or mint versions can reach $500, they can also be found for $20. Michigan started adding the riveted tag in 1915 with the first stamped steel issue. Michigan leather plates are typically more valuable than the porcelain issues.

I hope this helps,

Chris

Edited by Chris Paulsen (see edit history)

.....It's obvious I'm not going to change your mind about the leather one, personally, it appear's to me it was made by someone with a restored brass era vehicle.

The leather does not look like I would expect it to after that many years. Someone would have had to take extra good care of it by cleaning it and using something like neats foot oil on it the whole time. And with the level of mildew stains on it that doesn't seem likely. I would love to know what markings, if any, are on the back of the numbers. That might tell the tale if it really is old or not. For some reason those embossed numbers look too new to me.