1936 Dodge Service Truck

Guest Fast Four Special

Guest Fast Four Special

I just purchased a running cab and chassis for a 1936 Dodge Service truck. Does anyone out there have, or know where I can get, the measurements, drawings, or specifications for the service bed? I'd like to restore it back into service truck configuation as use it as our Bonneville support truck.

Thanks in advance!

post-64921-14313909545_thumb.jpg

Oh COOL! Great idea!

(Sorry I can't help on the request though.)

Another thought: You could extrapolate the dimensions from known measurements in the photos like: wheelbase, wheel size, window frame size, hood length, headlight length, etc. If you would be able to find more photos of that particular vehicle from other angles (square on is best), then your measurements would get that much more accurate. Other things like metal gauge and hardware could be easily guessed by looking at other similar trucks of the period. Just a thought.

Edited by 1936 D2
Added an idea (see edit history)

Here's some more info via a Google search (Frank Van Syckle, Perth Amboy, NJ - Dodge): A PDF document from Woodbridge NJ (http://www.twp.woodbridge.nj.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=EgDgsvJ83Iw%3D&tabid=309&mid=1422) had some info under #6 on page 3 of the booklet.

"Much to the dismay of its customers, financial problems plagued the new bank, a common occurrence during the Depression Era. It closed just one hour after its opening on November 30, 1931. The bank, however, was resurrected through the efforts of Perth Amboy banker, Frank Van Syckle, who in 1937 announced his plans to open a bank in Woodbridge. After five and a half years of being closed, the Woodbridge National Bank re-opened its doors on July 1, 1937, with Van Syckle serving as president."

Someone may be able to follow up with this Historical Society and see if they have photos of the period from Perth Amboy.

Also there is a link from the above Google search for the Historic Perth Amboy Virtual Museum: Frank Van Syckle, where there is a full article on Frank Henry Van Syckle Sr and photos showing the Garage in the '20's. There may be more photos on this site that might have the truck in them. If not, a contact with the Museum may dig up more info. Frank seemed to be fairly important in the area. I sure would think there is more info out there.

Good luck!

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Dodge City Vintage Dodge has tow truck 1 ton that i think bed looked same . i didnt look at it to closely . they are located in jamestown california

Jen

Guest Fast Four Special

Does anyone have photos of service trucks from other angles? I only have found the one picture. Jen, do you think you could take some detailed photos of the one you know of?

Thanks everyone!

PS~ I drove the chassis to the hardware store yesterday. Runs great!

Does anyone have photos of service trucks from other angles? I only have found the one picture. Jen, do you think you could take some detailed photos of the one you know of?

Thanks everyone!

PS~ I drove the chassis to the hardware store yesterday. Runs great!

i dont plan on driving back up there at any time in the future. maybe they can take pictures for you

Jen

Guest Fast Four Special
i dont plan on driving back up there at any time in the future. maybe they can take pictures for you

Jen

Bummer, I've tried to call them several times but their mailbox is always full.

Guest Fast Four Special
The rear of the truck from about the windshield back is almost certainly custom made. The cab does not look 'Dodge' and the door window shapes are suspect. It would most likely be quicker to just build it yourself using the photo as a guide.

The photo came from page 77 of the book Dodge Trucks by Don Bunn, copyright 1996. The text reads~

"Dodge made a new and very attractive service truck available to dealers in 1936, shown, which was built on the one and a half-ton LE-31 136in wheelbase chassis and cab with a specially designed body with either single or dual rear wheels. Dodge management thought this attractive service truck would lend added prestige for dealers. A toolbox was located at the front of the body. Standard color was two-tone university blue and cream, or it could be special ordered in any standard Dodge color".

Edited by Fast Four Special
typo (see edit history)

Bummer, I've tried to call them several times but their mailbox is always full.

sent you PM with contact information for them , maybe that number will go through

Jen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146131[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146132[/ATTACH]

Here are a couple more for comparison

looks like a pretty nice truck , if you do need some sheetmetal parts i have some here including a 9ft pickup bed with fenders for one with runningboards and splash aprons

Jen

That wrecker in the black and white shot looks like a '37.

Yup. I think so too. Horizontal vents in the hood and horizontal side panels on the grille is more '37.

Here's a '36 on eBay (

160843989.) So is this one like the chassis you have?

It's interesting that Wilkes Barre is rather close to Perth Amboy. Must have been a popular style vehicle in that area!

Yup. I think so too. Horizontal vents in the hood and horizontal side panels on the grille is more '37.

Here's a '36 on eBay (

160843989.) So is this one like the chassis you have?

It's interesting that Wilkes Barre is rather close to Perth Amboy. Must have been a popular style vehicle in that area!

also rear fenders if those are from a pickup are different than a 36 fenders.

Jen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fast Four Special

Jen, send me some photos of the parts (bed, fenders, running boards) you have for sale. Thanks, Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Jen,

Thanks for the running boards, splash aprons, and fenders! I'll post a photo when I get them on the truck.

Pete

thank you for your kindness and help with parts i needed as well , hopefully we can trade some more in the future

Jen

• 1 month later...
Guest Fast Four Special

post-64921-143139252064_thumb.jpg

After being sidetracked while looking for kingpins for the past two months, I'm finally back on track. Lots of progress today. Thanks Jen, the running boards are perfect!

Edited by Fast Four Special (see edit history)

Guest Fast Four Special
So where did you manage to finally find the king pins? That was such a struggle.

I ended up following the advice of one of the guys who posted on this forum. I bought 7/8" chrome hardended steel rod from McMaster Carr, cut it to length and ground the proper flats in them. Then bought some oil impregnated bushing material of the proper ID, cut it to length, turned the OD down on my lathe, and drilled them for grease. Found the proper size thrust bearings after several hours of digging through books at NAPA. It all went togother quite easily! Thanks for asking.

Guest Fast Four Special
looks like a perfect fit to me , let me know when you go to see your friend again looking forward for more pictures and parts

Jen

Jen, Chris is out of town for a while. Remind me again in a couple of weeks and I'll drive out to his ranch and search for your parts. I should be driving by your place some time in January as I'm delivering some cars to buddies in California.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...