1936 Dodge Service Truck

Guest Fast Four Special

Guest Fast Four Special
Looks like you are doing a great job, I envy the space and cash you must have on hand to be able to have these projects

Thanks! My shop is nothing more than a 2 car garage, and my biggest investment is lots of looooong coooooold Montana nights.

D2, sorry that you don't approve of my liberties with the tail lights. Since this is a creation, not a restoration, I felt making it safe AND modern were important. Bright tail lights and stock looking, but bright 12V headlights are key. This truck will be used almost daily, and will have to make the long haul to and from Bonneville every year loaded with tools, a generator, compressor, etc. It is also getting 440 Magnum power, an OD tranny, a narrowed Mopar motorhome rearend with highway gearing, disc brakes, and seven 8R19.5 radials. By all outward appearances it will remain a heavily patinaed 30s service truck though... we'll except the tail lights and the burbly exhaust note. :)

Guest Fast Four Special
But if your tailgate is down, won't that cover the tail lights? That is why I was more thinking about period tail lights on stalks either out from the side of the box or up from the fenders.

Cool tailgate though. Can be read from both sides!

D2 ~ Those are just the running lights. The stop/turns are indeed going to be big old fender-mounted glass-lensed STOP lights. They're off an old fire truck.

Guest Fast Four Special

That panel is steel. I usually TIG aluminum, but I am learning to love my spool gun... even if it makes me feel like a sellout :rolleyes:

That panel is steel. I usually TIG aluminum, but I am learning to love my spool gun... even if it makes me feel like a sellout :rolleyes:

I have some questions but I will send a P.M

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Fast Four Special

Jen,

I'll be hauling an empty trailer to California some time in March to pick up a car in San Mateo. Please give me a list of the parts you are lookig for and I will see if we have them.

Email me at moparmontana@gmail.com

Pete

• 1 month later...
Guest Fast Four Special

The service truck just received the rear axle from a 1970s Dodge motorhome. Same bolt pattern, but 4.11 gears instead of the 5.88s, and much better brakes. Amazingly, all it required was spacing the leaf spring shackle brackets 1" from the frame with blocks of steel plate to match the axle pad width. Much easier than relocating the pads. Rear is approximately 6" wider overall. A really clean and easy swap!

Next up, a '66 Dodge 318 Poly motor and a Dodge Dakota 4 speed OD transmisson.

post-64921-143141772818_thumb.jpg

post-64921-143141772793_thumb.jpg