Modern radio for 6 volt system

Guest valleyjim

Guest valleyjim

I have a 1936 Buick Series 40 Business coupe with the original 6 volt system. I would like to install a modern AM/FM radio CD Player. Is there a modern radio that will work with the 6 volt system, or a voltage converter that might work. Thanks.

Jim Valley

Guest shadetree77

Jim, I found a company that sells these radio units that allow you to play music from any portable device(ipod, mp3 player, portable cd player, etc.) through your existing original radio. It's a small device that you hook up to your original radio and can be hidden easily. It works with any 12 volt, 6 volt negative ground, or 6 volt positive ground radio system. You just have to tell them what voltage system you are working with when buying one. I've included a link to their website. This thing is truly amazing. It's the only thing I've ever come across that has support for 6 volt systems AND leaves your original radio in place and completely untouched. Check out their site and watch some of their videos. I've heard good things about these and I plan on ordering one for my '52 Buick whenever I get around to hooking the radio back up. I know I sound like an infomercial here, but I was really excited to find this company. I too wanted a modern music solution for my Buick but I wasn't about to modify anything. I like to keep my stuff original. Good luck and let us know if if you end up ordering one.

RediRad Classic Car AM and FM radio adapter- MP3/Satellite Radio to AM or FM band

Guest Kingoftheroad

I saw a battery advertised on "My Classic Car", the 6/12 battery (I think). Battery segment starts 3 minutes into show..

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)