Can I use a grade 8 hex nut for an axle nut?

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

I need a rear axle hex nut for my 1936 International pickup. It is 7/8"-14. I can't find a modern hex axle nut (not castle)in that size. Would a grade 8 (7/8"-14) hex nut be appropriately strong enough to use in this application? The width of a grade 8 nut is the the same as my damaged axle nut. It is about 3/16" thicker than damaged axle nut.

I would appreciate any advice. This is outside my technical knowledge.

Thanks,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger
spelling (see edit history)

Grade 8 is a lot stronger than the original. you might consider machining this a hole of castling the new nut. I would think you do on milling machine or shaper. i would grind the grooves as it might weaken the but by changing the heat treating uless keep very cool e.

Post a picture of each so we understand the issue,

The Rolls Royce shop in Richmond California regularlymakes nut and bolt of British decent for their restoration, it just no available in the old style threads and sizes.

Dwight, call Dave at Harvey's Supply in Johnstown,PA at 800-269-9222. They specialize in fasteners of all types, castle, slotted, hex and in most sizes and thread pitches and will sell less than standard package. They also have all grades of bolts and nuts. Most slotted and castle nuts are low carbon(grade 2) and I'm pretty sure that axle nuts used on cars are usually low carbon nuts. The hex size runs the same for each size regardless of grade. If you need a thinner hex nut ask Dave for the dimensions on a hex jam nut. Dave will help you out; tell him Jim Page told you to call! Harvey's hrs. are 7:30 am- 5:00 pm Mon-Fri and 8:00 am-12:00 pm on Sat. To answer your question..no ,it won't hurt to use a grade 8, it's just harder than a low carbon nut.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Thanks Packard2 and Jim.

I really appreciate the information.

I was concerned that axle nuts might be some special tempered concoction. I am glad to here they are not.

The jamb nut is actually the exact same size as my damaged axle nut by it was nut available in grade 8, so I ruled it out. It's back on the table now.

I tried to email myself pics from my new phone. I couldn't manage the new phone. But the axle nuts are hex, not castled and the same size as a 7/8"-14 hex jamb nut.

I have a solution. And I will call Dave.

Thanks again,

Dwight

I'm sure you are right jpage. Next time I will contact him. I am going to need alot of fasteners before this oddyssey is over. They were less than three dollars a piece at Fastnal and I hadn't excercised my plastic in at least 12 hours.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I finished rebuilding the rear brakes brakes today. Including getting some brake cables to work that have not moved since the Eisenhower administration!

The front brakes are tommorrow's goal.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger
spelling (see edit history)