124 Coupe Top

Guest Doobby

Guest Doobby

The top on my 124 Coupe is in pretty bad shape. I assume that it's original. Anyone know where you can buy a replacement top? If so, how the heck do you put it on?

You would have to make a replacement top and if you were to look in the past issues C.D of the D.B club news you would find installation information

Doobby, What Jason says is good advice. I just want to add, LeBaron-Bonney auto upholstery shop is up the road from me. I stop in there time to time, just to ogle the cars they've got in the shop. They do a lot more than just Fords! and boy, are they good. I went into their materials room and it was amazing! HUGE rolls of all kinds of fabrics, great big bales of cotton batting, top materials,etc...Those folks up there are good to know. I'm sure they can help you with questions and the materials. They'll sell you any amount of material and top padding for underneath, also the welting and trim ends. Don't throw anything out from your old top, at least until the new one is in place. I'm not totally familiar with your coupe's top, but most cars of that era were very much basically the same. The details could be found in the D.B. club issues like Jason said.

Also, in the reading of old threads on this forum that I have done, I have seen a few where people have rebuilt the tops themsleves. I'm sorry I can't remember exactly who they are right now but people with the knowledge of how to do it are on here and there should be some pics as well. Have a bit of search and you may find some stuff that gets you moving in the right direction.

Best of luck with it, and nice car! :cool:

Guest Doobby

Thanks for all of the help. LeBaron-Bonney seems to have the material. Once I knew the proper terms, it's easier to Google and find info. Now I'm on to tinkering with the vacuum tank!