Vacuum advance doohickey for my '40

FLYER15015

After reading a post on the postwar forum, I decided to check my vacuum advance set up on the baby,(1940 Buick LTD) .

Using my vacuum pump @ the carb inlet junction, i could not pull any movement out of the distributor plate.

Question = is there a source for the really small copper line (in case it's leaking) or the vacuum can and lever that attaches to the distributor ?

It does not seem difficult to remove and reattach without pulling the distributor.

Anybody been here before ?

Mike in Colorado

:confused::confused::confused:

Guest Grant Magrath

I recall a guy here in Christchurch who rebuilds them as well FWIW. Does your vacuum can need a vacation Mike?!!CheersGrant

Kieth,

Yes I did validate that the plate moves, by greasing the 3 balls that hold the plate and firing her up. I can see the path the balls take by virtue of the weights.

Grant,

I would love to hand deliver mine to you down under, and the way our nitwit government is going, I may as well look for housing while it's being rebuilt.

I did check (Bob's) catalog, and the cost is $65.00 With a $30.00 core charge and $11.95 shipping, so it's $76.95 plus return postage for my old unit.

I think I'll cast around e-bay and my local parts stores for a while.

Mike in Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Well to follow up regarding my search, I did find a NOS part #681-P for a reasonable ammount, however my parts book says I should install a # 681-H, so the question is, what's the difference ?

They look the same on the outside. Would the spring be different ?

I read a post a while ago about the need to install a 3/8" spacer in later(?) engines .

Calling all the engine experts...........

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

I'd say they'd probably offer differing degrees of advance Mike. There should be a chart out there somewhere to reference them!

Cheers

Grant

Well, to hopefully wrap up this thread, I found a # 681-H vacuum advance unit (on evilbay) for a very reasonable "buy it now" price for a NOS, still in the box part. It was listed for a 37-41 Pontiac, but it's a Delco-Remy part number, so it should be fine.

When she comes in, I will take Chris's advice, install the vacuum unit and replumb the line per his info about Ace Hdwr/NAPA.

Thanks to all,

Mike in Colorado