riv windows

tenugent

I've seen glass polishing kits at J.C. Whitney, but that was 20 years ago. I think it had a stone wheel and some buffing grit. I was thinking of doing the windshield of my truck back then. It had some wiper scratches that I wanted to remove.

If you can catch the scratch with a fingernail it won't polish out. If you can't catch it with a fingernail but can with the edge of a razor blade you can polish it out to where its less noticeable. In this case essentially what you are doing is smoothing the rough edge of the scratch which is what reflects light and makes it noticeable. If the scratches are visible but not deep enough to catch with a razor blade you can polish them out completely using the kit from Eastwood. Glass polishing is a very tedious process and not for those without lots of patience.

If you do one spot or area on the glass then that area will look smoother than the rest so you'll want to polish it all to help even out the finish.

Typically the only time polishing is worthwhile on a Riv is when you are trying to save the original date coded glass.

Sanders Glass in Oregon can make all new glass for just about any car , I talked to folks all over the place about polishing the original stuff and it wasn't worth the effort for the results I wanted. The six side pieces were around 460.00 shipped and they do a beautiful job of polishing the edges . I think they can put the lof markings on the glass for more money but I didnt need that .