Clock Issue on 1938 Oldsmobile

Guest madmoose

Guest madmoose

I have a six volt dash clock from my 1938 Oldsmobile that works, but not correctly. The contacts touch, activates the solenoid and pulls the winding arm down a little bit and the clock starts running. However, instead of running for a few minutes and activating the solenoid again, it only runs for about 20-30 seconds, then starts chattering for about 30 seconds while it rapidly turns turns the solenoid on and off, runs quietly for another 20-30 seconds, repeats, and so on.

I have cleaned the contact points and looked for other obstructions, but can't seem to find the problem.

Would anybody have any suggestions on how to get this clock operating properly?

Thanks!

Try some very light oil on the end of a toothpick and use this to lube the pivot points of the armature. Also be sure that you have a full 6 volts and heavy enough wire to allow the armature to fully wind the spring. These are worth a try if the points are dressed clean.

Joe, BCA 33493

• 9 months later...
I have a six volt dash clock from my 1938 Oldsmobile that works, but not correctly. The contacts touch, activates the solenoid and pulls the winding arm down a little bit and the clock starts running. However, instead of running for a few minutes and activating the solenoid again, it only runs for about 20-30 seconds, then starts chattering for about 30 seconds while it rapidly turns turns the solenoid on and off, runs quietly for another 20-30 seconds, repeats, and so on.

I have cleaned the contact points and looked for other obstructions, but can't seem to find the problem.

Would anybody have any suggestions on how to get this clock operating properly?

Thanks!

I agree with the retired clock maker. I restore classic car clocks part time. The problem you are experiencing is common with Borg clocks. The moving point is not hitting the stationary point with enough force. These clocks were designed so that the moving point would jump at the very end when approaching the stationary one. This is done with the assistance of a little clip that snaps at the very end. This clip is a small piece of brass that can be easily removed with tweezers and the the arm holding it should be trainer forward a little so that the jump is more readily encouraged, then the clip can be replaced. This will fix the problem.

Jim

I had a similar clock, a Seth Thomas 6 volt electric self winding dash clock. Clocks/timepeices are delicate items and if its not your speciality, let someone who knows them best to repair it. I sent mine to the National Watch & Clock Museum, 514 Poplar Street, Columbia, PA 17512 Phone: 717-684-8261 (Lancaster area) Penn. Albert Dodson was my contact. Its also a worthwhile museum to visit if you're in that region of the country.

Welcome to NAWCC