32 spark plug dilemma

Guest Jim Jordan

Guest Jim Jordan

Still trying to remove the Champion D-16 plugs with a 15/16" hex with no luck. Cannot fit a 15/16" socket in the tube even if I grind it down.

Would like to replace with Autolite 386, std 13/16" hex as suggested on a previous post.

Any further advice or solution would be much appreciated and thanks to those with comments on my earlier post.

thank you so much for any advice.

Jim Jordan

I measured a 15/16" socket outside it was 1 1/4", inside diameter for the nut is 1 1/16" ,if you grind or use a "turning lathe" you need to go down on outside to 1 5/32" or 1.18".But at first fix a tube with an outer dimention on 1 5/32" or 1.18" to test the tube hole.Then you can grind or what you want to do with the socket.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest Jim Jordan

Thank you everyone, I did grind a 7/8" deep well socket and it worked great. I can replace the plugs now and move on to my next adventure.

I find this forum to be a valuable resource especially communicating with very nice knowledgeable people who love old cars and are willing to help others.

I have always been a Ford flathead guy but recently discovered that I am really liking the pre war Buicks.

thanks again all for responding,

Jim

JIm,

I gap them the same as the old D-16's, plus .003. On the 21 stud flathead Ford I use .028. I've given them away to Buick guys on tours and know the

D-16 Champion and Autolite 386 fit the V-12 Cadillac and the 32 Buick big Series as well as most of the old lawn mowers in the world. I don't remember re-gapping for the bigger cars either. Most parts stores think of them as small engine plugs.

The extra .003 allows for idle speeds to not foul the plugs as fast. (My idea)

Guest Jim Jordan
JIm,

I gap them the same as the old D-16's, plus .003. On the 21 stud flathead Ford I use .028. I've given them away to Buick guys on tours and know the

D-16 Champion and Autolite 386 fit the V-12 Cadillac and the 32 Buick big Series as well as most of the old lawn mowers in the world. I don't remember re-gapping for the bigger cars either. Most parts stores think of them as small engine plugs.

The extra .003 allows for idle speeds to not foul the plugs as fast. (My idea)

Thanks for the heads up Paul.

I have always been a Ford flathead guy so the pre war Buicks have been a learning experience for me.

Jim

I've been a flat head Ford guy for nearly 40 years and finally got of the Champion D-16 plugs because we do lots of tours, Glidden, Sentimental, Divisional. etc. It's there I Discovered a 32 Buick of frind was using the

D-16's and I was able to rescue him with my Ford plugs. Same story with

a 1931 V-12 Cadillac.

My pre WWII Buick has a Buick 8, but not a straight eight. Totally different plug.

post-32318-14313900085_thumb.jpg

post-32318-143139000866_thumb.jpg