Dash Restoration Thread

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Does anyone remember seeing a thread a while back where a guy showed how to resurrect a woodgrained dash? I thought it was on here somewhere. Can't seem to find it!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks Allan.

It might be that it's not even on here. I thought I saw it here. It was a guy showing how his Dodge? dash cleaned up. It was impressive. I'll have a look at home.

Cheers

Grant

Guest daydreamer1950

you can order a graining kit from grain-it tecnologies in fl . 1 863 299 4494 .1933 buick registry

Guest locoincolo

Grant,

I've been looking at either the grain-it kit - or possibly a water transfer from these guys TWN Water Transfer Printing | Hydrographic Film Equipment Supplies Training

I saw a recent set of posts on the 37/38 buick Yahoo group (maybe a month ago) from a guy in Norway I think? He did the grain-it kit and it was spectacular in the photos.

With a 38, I'd prefer picking up the "butt walnut" from grainit, but my CFO prohibits such a one-time purchase. This kit seems likely to give a reasonably "correct" grain for my car.

Maybe someone in Colorado bought one and wants to rent it to me for a week or so?

Anyway, in the short term I'm going with this beige/tan color that the PO sprayed on and I'm getting down the road... nearly literally!

Craig

Guest Grant Magrath

Nice work Craig!

The reason I asked, was that there was a 39 mirror that had very light surface rust on the rear, and the thread I mentioned outlined the process to revive original woodgrain. I know a guy in Wellington, NZ who's an expert woodgrainer and he uses everything from feathers to beer. Terry Stock knows who I'm talking about!

Cheers

Grant

Look at Grain-It Technology on the web. They seem to be the group that have taken woodgrain restoration research and practice the farthest, at least for the amateur restorer like me. They have manufactured reusable stencil sheets based on those used in the original factories. (Remember this finish was originally created by unskilled labor!) They have a variety of grain types in their available stencils and can even tell you which one was used for your particular make and model. They put together DIY kits with your specific basecoat, grain color, grain pattern and tools along with instruction videos. You can even look at the videos on their website. I have a friend who bought one of their kits and did an old Plymouth...you wouldn't believe the incredible finish he got with it. It absolutely looks factory new. Once you know the secrets, this process is craft, not art; you don't have to be an artist to do it.

No, I don't work for them...but I willingly would! Strictly a high class outfit in my estimation. Costs a few coins, but what doesn't these days?

Steve Gorthy BCA #44510

31 Model 87

Steve,

For what it is worth the message previous to yours is from Jdee who is the owner of Grain-It Technology. I did in fact purchase their system for my 1930 Buick model 68 5-window-coupe, found it relatively easy to use after a bit of practice and was very pleased with the results obtained. Based on my experience, I recommend one should get the largest roller you can afford as well as the larger size plates. That will allow for less joints to deal with as you print your grain patterns on the metal. In addition I do not recommend the use of the sand paper/sheets provided as a mask which is rather thick and has a tendency to curl somewhat. Instead I found it easier to obtain a nice joint using simple copy/printer paper which is thinner and will lay flat against the surface. This will all become self-evident once you practice with the kit.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)