8 volt battery in a 1950 Chevy

STuTZ693

I just bought a 1950 Chevy and the previous owner had just installed a new Interstate 8 volt battery.

This my be one of those annual 8 volt battery questions but, are there any problems associated with the 8 volt battery concerning light bulbs, instruments, the radio (which actually still works), starter, or the charging system. The engine fires up almost instantly and runs good.

This little Styleline Special 2 Door 3 speed has 28,750 miles and I do not want to do any harm by using the 8 volt battery.

I just put gas in it for the first time and had a heck of a time with gas burpping out of the filler neck because of the bend in the neck. Is there a trick that I should know?

It needs an new exhaust system and the carburetor leaks from time to time.

Any other suggestions or comments about 1950 Chevy's would be great. I am new again to old cars after 40 years of not tinkering.

Thank you all in advance.

post-50728-143138980979_thumb.jpg

As I recall, the 8 volt "upgrade" was a somewhat common thing. Usually had to do with vehicles that didn't start too easily. I don't remember anybody claiming issues with this upgrade, but there might have been, and nobody talked about them.

Sounds and looks like a really nice car!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I am just a Model A Ford guy, so I can't help with much except the battery question. While it probably won't do much harm to the car, you might want to consider the following information.

I would expect that you could have somewhat reduced bulb lifetime using an 8 volt battery. Usually repairing what is wrong with the original electrical system would be what I would recommend instead of using an 8 volt battery.

It is very common to find that a prior owner has replaced the battery cables with cables that are too small, resulting in reduced current flow to the starter. The cables designed for 6 volt systems are larger than those for 12 volt systems.

Incorrect battery cables are probably the most common cause of slow starter problems, which is probably the most common reason that 8 volt batteries are installed.

Nice looking car!

The 8 volt (tractor) battery is an old trick. It gives a little more oomph for starting, and brighter lights. Theoretically it could shorten light bulb life but I doubt it would make much difference in practice. Might shorten bulb life from 10 years to 9 years and 8 months, that type of thing.

To make it work right, you have to adjust the voltage regulator up to 9.5 to 9.8 volts. Stock 6 volt setting is 7.2 to 7.6. Otherwise the battery won't completely charge.

It should not be necessary to do this if the electrical system is in top shape. I did it on a few cars including a 1952 Chrysler hemi V8. I felt the big V8 needed some help in the starting department, this is why they went to 12V when the high compression V8s became popular. Now, on thinking it over, I believe the stock 6 volt system would have been just as good. At least I never had any problem starting on 6 volts as long as the battery was in top condition.

Guest Oldengineer

Rusty:

Got a question for you. When I bought my 48 Chevrolet, the seller told me the car had been set up to run on 8 volts. However, it had a 6 volt battery in it. Can I tell if the voltage regulator has been monkeyed with by reading the voltage across the battery with the engine running. From your post I should see 7.2 - 7.6 volts?

Regards:

Oldengineer

Guest Don-WI

If you look in the Chevrolet service manual it covers the adjustments for a voltage regulator. As mentioned about a 8 Volt battery will work although if everything is as it should be it is not needed. Usually it is nothing more than a band aide and is covering up some other issue with the vehicle. Your best bet is to get rid of the 8 volt and get a good quality 6 volt and make sure things are all up to snuff.

In many respects, I concur with Don, as to knowing that what the vehicle was built with should work now, IF everything is put back into that "as produced" condition. It could be something as simple as making sure ALL wiring connections to the starting and ignition system are clean, tight, and corrosion-sealed. Not to forget checking the voltage regulator contact points and that its adjustment hasn't varied with age, OR the gauge of the battery cables (as mentioned).

Back then, much of that stuff was more "science" and most people found that the 8 volt battery upgrade was something "they" could do themselves. Pretty simple, easy, and "it worked", which can be a significant thing for "back then". Having "test equipment" was also something that you had to take the vehicle to "special shops" or possibly dealerships to find, back then, by observation . . . so that was a factor, too, in the 8 volt upgrade.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Hi Rusty,

I had come to the conclussion that if the regulator was not adjusted for the 8 volt battery I will end up with an 8 volt battery charged to a 6 volt system level. I will check the output of the generator.

I have a 6 volt system in the STuTZ and that big 6 Cylinder turns over and starts fine. I put larger than normal battery cables, bought the largest battery that would fit in the battery box, and cleaned all of the contact surfaces.

Thanks to all.