need '63 Riviera power seat transmission-cheap!

Guest bulldog65

Guest bulldog65

New guy here--but old in age-65! I need a '63 Riviera power seat transmission the motor is fine--but the seat will go only up & down...the forward/back-large one- tranny cable does not turn when motor engages-I can hear it 'trying' in the transmission....and I can turn the cable with pliers and see the backside of it turning in the transmission...is there a 'fix' inside or do I need a complete new unit? Thanks so much....Doug in Texas

One other item to check is the large "screw" that moves the seat forward and back. It's been lubed, but the lube acts as a dirt and lint magnet. Over time, the lubricant with the dirt and lint in it will harden and the motor isn't strong enough to plow through the gunk. A good cleaning and new lubricant will often be all you need.

Ed

Guest bulldog65

Guys---I just took the whole transmission apart....the shafts were coated with a sticky residue along with the large cylinders inside the windings....I cleaned them off-lube with fine oil-cleaned all contacts on the switches and connectors....put it back together and pressed the seat switch on the door----WOW! Tahnks for the advice--it works all 4 ways now--I also lubed the runner channels and guide screw...saved no telling how much $$$$..this site is great....Thanks again---I am restoring -again- my wife's original Silver CLoud Riviera that her dad ordered in late December of 1962---he drove it a year and gave it to her for a gift for being Sophomore class homecoming Duchess in the fall of '63...we started dating when she was 16 and I was 17..good thing it can't talk!..been married for 45 years in June...we found the car in 1984 in a field near our town--had lost track of it when we traded it in for a '69 Pontiac my senior year of college....when found by a friend-it STILL had her dad's name on the plaque on the console with his original owners manual in the glove box--someone had painted it O.D. green and drilled holes in the doors for speakers--JUst pure luck that we found it after putting the word out that we wanted to find one like she drove in school--it took us 4 years to fully restore it...but age has caught with some of it's parts and accessories..it even has a factory tach with the 'train' horns and tilt with power everything-even vent windows...now I have to fix the gas guage-doesn't register along with a couple of other things before we start summer driving....I will need your advice! I am 65 and have had 4 heart attacks an have a pacemaker/defibrilltor in my chest--but am otherwise in good health and able to 'piddle' with it on cool days in my shop....Doug

Guest bulldog65

Thanks for your kind comments--I will try to post some fotos of 'her'---just not sure how at this point-LOL! I grew up on #2 pencils and Big Chief tablets!

Doug, just some ideas on your fuel gauge problem. Check the ground wire from the fuel sending unit. It may be difficult to get to, but loosen the screw holding it to the body and move it around and tighten the screw. If you can get to it easily, clean the area around the screw hole and also the lug on the end of the wire. If that doesn't help, you may need to remove the fuel sending unit. There are companies (Year One) that rebuild them and they are then calibrated back to factory specs and should give our fuel gauge a proper reading. I have used Year One's rebuild service and was very pleased.

Guest bulldog65

Don...are you referring to the actual grounding strap from the fuel tank to the frame? I've already scraped/cleaned it and re-attached it...how on earth do I get to the sending unit ground wire without dropping the tank? I'll cut a hole in my trunk flooring-seems easier than dropping the tank-it is full of gas- It is so frustrating to not have the gas guage work! where does the actual sending unit wire run to the dash guage--I took up the carpeting-drivers side--don't see anything but the flat cable wires...Thanks so much for all you guy's help! Doug

Guest 65purps

I removed my seat so how do I remove the motor and transmission to clean and lube I see some wired looking screws.

Guest rsmalling

Sweet Rivi Doug!

I keep telling my wife she needs a Silver 63 Riviera. She just chuckles and walks away........... :confused:

where does the actual sending unit wire run to the dash guage--I took up the carpeting-drivers side--don't see anything but the flat cable wires...

Nice Riv!

One of those wires in the flat cable is for the gas gauge. The wire comes up through the trunk near the license plate or where the backup light wires come by. Then goes around the trunk to the flat wire.

found a pic of someone who cut through their trunk to get to the sending unit. Ugly way to go...

post-65039-143138977807_thumb.jpg

post-65039-14313897781_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)

Guest bulldog65

Thanks---found the wire from the sending unit by the license plate- a brown wire--will trace it tomorrow to the flat wires and inspect from there! Sure hope it isn't the sending unit....lol

Guest Rob J

It's not that hard to drop the tank in these cars. Most likely it is a broken strap wire on the sending unit. There is a guy selling new stainless steel sending units on eBay for the first gen cars. 63 has a specific sending unit different than the 65's so make sure you specify for a 63.

Btw, nice car, and so cool you were able to get it back. Neat story, and history.