1955 Rear Shock Installation.

1955 Roadmaster on jackstands, wheels off, rear drums removed(replacing will be the next problem). Rebuilt shocks replaced(Apple Hydraulics,look great). Rear axle now sits too low for link to reattach in bracket. Do I need to compress springs?

Bottle jack under Diff. just raises the car off the jackstands.

You may have the wrong links or the rebuilder indexed the arms wrong. With the weight of the car on the axle it should easily attach. Even if you compressed the springs to make it fit, something would soon break in service.

Willie

You think the fact that the car is on jackstands(painting wheels for new tires) affects total weight on the axle even with the bottle jack lifting under the diff.? Bottle jack under the diff lifts the car off the rear jackstands. I'm thinking I should just wait till I get the front wheels on the ground. Or should they be attached with all four wheels on the ground?

Paul,

The only time I have had trouble reattaching the links was when the car was jacked up and the wheels were off the ground. Since the axle is on stands, that should be full curb weight, and you shouldn't have an issue. I agree with Old-tank check the link length. They are different for small and large series cars. Maybe you got Special / Century links instead of for Roadmaster.

The stands are under the frame,forward of the rear wheels and aft of the front wheels. However if I put a bottle jack under the diff. it lifts the car off the rear stands, still doesn't get me close enough to the link brackets. I think maybe the eng./trans weight is forward of the forward jacks, leveraging weight off the rear.

I sent the old links to Apple Hydr. as per their request so I assume they are correct. Appear to be the longer of the two links.