Where to get a replacement windshield?

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

The other day, I noticed my windshield decided to unexplainably spring a rather large crack. This really sucks, as it was the original unit off the car, and was in great shape when I removed it from the car several months ago when I began the restoration.

Called Safelite, and they do not have this windshield.

So now, do replacement windshields for 65's exist? I sure hope so.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Don't stop your search at Safelite. I have purchased 1963-65 Riviera windshields in the past year from a local auto glass shop. I believe this windshield is still in the PPG (now called PGW, I think) line of replacement windshields (although they probably made overseas). I'm sure the same origin is true for the Riv windshields being sold by the parts vendors mentioned above. In fact, these vendors are probably all getting their stock from this same source.

Call some of your local, NON-FRANCHISE auto glass places and ask if they can get replacement windshields available from some of the current suppliers like PGW or LOF. Then, get them to check for your Riviera application. If a local shop can get you one, you usually won't have to pay a shipping or packaging charge, since your windshield will arrive in the shop's normal delivery from their wholesaler. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling

What John said, I got a new windshield from local auto glass. They even came up and installed at a reasonable rate. This was 3-5 years ago.

We have probably sold about 15 of the 1st generation windshields this year. (You can check us out at Prosource Glass International) or under prosourceglass on Ebay...

the latest is aftermarket brand made in Peru by AGP or the LOF brand (correct thickness, little better quality) made in Mexico but same specs. They are a little more money but worth it. There are no more PPG brand glass made in USA or anywhere. PPG now is under the name PGW since about 2010. we sold the last 3 about a year ago. It is rare to find one USA made as none of the wholesale outlets in the US and Canada have any that we know of...

The LOF brand we sell is $295 + $25 crate fee + $135 truck freight to FL. We can ship nationwide for no more than $165 coast to coast. Love the cars so i check this site out from time to time. Lot of great info! Richard

Guest Birdman

Just had my windshield replaced on my 65 by J.N. Phillips here in MA.

They had the windshield shipped to them. Looks good.

Guest Rob J

Thanks Richard, I will certainly keep you in mind when the time comes for me to install the windshield. Do you anticipate that these will be around and available for a while? Doing a frame off restoration, so I won't be needing the windshield for at least 6-8 months.

Thanks.

I have a friend who owns an old-style glass shop here in Flint. I've known Barry for many years first through Boy Scouts, church and then with our cars.

He has done all of my glass jobs, though I haven't needed to have any done on my Riv yet :D. I recently saw him driving a 1920's car (don't recall the make) and he has other oldies that he works on. I believe he and/or his wife is a BCA member. I definitely recommend his work.

So, if you are in need of glass work in the Flint area, visit Barry at the Davison Road Glass shop, near the original Angelo's Coney Island.

Guest sharkeymark

Safelite had my '66 Toronado glass, that's weird. They might have been out of stock and have to order it. $265.00 installed in my garage at my home. Looks like Richard has you covered though.

I got one from a local private owner shop and it was very reasonable, like $225-ish and that was for a tinted one. Install is $100. I thought it was a good deal and it looks great.

Like some have said, check the local independent shops. I used the same guys for my '55 glass. Great to build the rapport.

not that it helps any of you guys, but I need to give credit where credit is due.

My local Windscreens O'Brien outlet here in Port Macquarie did a great job for me for my busted glass. had a screen up here within days, supplied out of Sydney (350km south). Tony G and I were remarking that the supplier probably wondered why there'd be 2 65 Riv screens ordered so close together....