I want to buy:

Guest wfulks

Guest wfulks

I am in need of 1932 Dodge sedan hubcap rings. I need a set of 5. I am hoping someone has some to sell.

post-85422-143138965235_thumb.jpg

post-85422-143138965694_thumb.jpg

Looks identical to mine...even down to the original color scheme: Black & Mercedes Drab. (Mine got new, lighter gray paint at some time in its life.)

Welcome to the very exclusive '32 Club! Let me know if you need advice on anything. Sorry...can't help with the hubcap rings, though.

And, I'd (we'd) love to see more pics!!

Guest wfulks

We found the car in a garage and we are able to just polish out the body paint, but we may have to repaint the fenders. The interior has a few problems but I think we will live with it for a while, meanwhile it does need new glass all the way around. We were very lucky in finding it. The firetruck behind it is a 1932 GMC.

Edited by wfulks (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

Those wheels were made by Motor Wheel of Detroit and were on several vehicles in those years. Chrysler used them on Dodge cars and trucks,Plymouth cars of '32 and '33. I've seen Motor Wheel wooden artillerys on Pontiacs,Auburns,Buicks and Nashes. They came in 16" and 17" but 16" are the most common. BUT with that being said you will have to ask the seller what the diameter of the ring is that he's selling. I'm aware of at least 2 sizes. They look exactly the same with the 3 mounting screws but are for 2 different sized hubcaps.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Thanks so much, I had no idea. This could begin to be frustrating.

Nah...you've only just begun. It took me 35 years to find a door trim piece for my '31 DH6. We'll find you some of those rings. Be patient.

Guest 1930
Those wheels were made by Motor Wheel of Detroit and were on several vehicles in those years. Chrysler used them on Dodge cars and trucks,Plymouth cars of '32 and '33. I've seen Motor Wheel wooden artillerys on Pontiacs,Auburns,Buicks and Nashes. They came in 16" and 17" but 16" are the most common. BUT with that being said you will have to ask the seller what the diameter of the ring is that he's selling. I'm aware of at least 2 sizes. They look exactly the same with the 3 mounting screws but are for 2 different sized hubcaps.

As KCL pointed out the wheels.caps,rings were used on several different vehicles in those years so that will make it a whole lot easier and should not be all that difficult to find at all, just going to require some effort and time on your part.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wfulks

I am also in need of the part that holds the grab handle on to the back of the front seat. Are there any around?

Hi,

Is the one your after the cord that goes from one side ( back of the front seat ) to the other that people use to hang their travel rugs over ?

If it is then NC Industries have repro ones. I have this set up on the back of the front seat and also to hold straps near the rear doors.

Guest wfulks

I will try and find them and see if they have the part. You were correct, that is what I need. thanks so much

Guest wfulks

Is there anyone out there that would loan me a hubcap ring to see if I could get it fabricated locally?

Guest 1930

Now your thinking.

I would think a tracing and some good pictures would work and would be simple enough to get, I bet Phil would give you that himself in a heartbeat

I would think a tracing and some good pictures would work and would be simple enough to get, I bet Phil would give you that himself in a heartbeat

Wufulks...Sure, if you think those would suffice, I'd be glad to send a tracing and some pics.

Just let me know.

Guest DodgeKCL

I think this is what you're looking for?? This one is approx. 8 1/4" across and has the brand name AGM Co. or A&M Co. stamped on it. As far as I know it fits Dodge and Plymouth 16" Motorwheel's last version of wooden artillery wheels that stopped in 1933. Chrysler also put them on their 1933 HC 1/2 ton trucks as an option. You can tell that you do not have quick demountable rims, from the first years of automobiles, because you're missing the rim dogs and nuts. I'm under the impression that these wooden wheels were interchangable with wires and disks of the same size. You do not have to stay with these wooden wheels if you can find a set of wires and hubcaps. Disks are impossible to find. I say this all with a caveat that I do not have 1st hand knowledge, I have just read it in books and manuals. However I have worked with the 16" wooden Motorwheels myself. That's why I have this mounting ring. But as I said in my previous post, make sure you have the right size before buying any or reproing any. (They should not be hard to reproduce as they will be hidden from view and do not have to be this fancy.) I've added a Dodge factory photo of what your wheel was like on a 1933 HC truck. Pretty,ain't it?

BTW The ring photo was taken with a setting of 544X408 on my camera with flash. The lowest pixel rate on my camera. It's looks alright to me for a 'parts photo'?

post-31311-143138993886_thumb.jpg

post-31311-143138994281_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930
Wufulks...Sure, if you think those would suffice, I'd be glad to send a tracing and some pics.

Just let me know.

Told YA

... BTW The ring photo was taken with a setting of 544X408 on my camera with flash. The lowest pixel rate on my camera. It's looks alright to me for a 'parts photo'?

Yup. That gets the point across about what the part looks like. But that's maybe all. We can't, for instance, see the markings on the part if that would be important in this discussion. (Which I don't think it is.)

Side note: Since there is talk about reproduction on this thread, a scale (either metric or English) somewhere in the photo, at the same plane as the part, may allow a savvy user on the receiving end the ability to print the photo out real size so a machinist could work up a reproduction. If that was the effort here, a side view with scale to show the thickness would also be needed. That MAY almost be enough to use to reproduce the part. ;) But for that shot the resolution would HAVE to be higher as a scale with 1/32 inch or mm markings would be hard pressed for accuracy below 1024x768 I would say.

The reprint photo from a B&W page is not useful however at 275pX275p. That resolution is too low. I am not familiar with the car (truck) in question and from that scan I still can't tell where this part is used. Sorry. :(

Edited by 1936 D2
Added data (see edit history)

Guest 1930

Quote.........I am not familiar with the car (truck) in question and from that scan I still can't tell where this part is used. Sorry............

This part holds the hub-cap onto the wheel, it is screwed onto the wooden wheel and the cap snaps onto it

Guest DodgeKCL

I thought that it was obvious where the ring went? And yes it occured to me this evening after checking my post that a side view would be necessary. (I need an editor.) I'll take that tomorrow and post it. But as for measurements, the correct hubcaps will have to be found also and then it will be easy enough to make a repro ring fit the hubcap opening and the screw holes already in the wheel hub flange. Yes it's not obvious how the hubcap is held on. There are 3 'bumps' in the sides of the ring.

So, the three tabs go under the wheel flange and then the ring sticks out past the edge of the flange to grip the inside of the hubcap? Or does the ring attach to the outer surface of the flange?

I am trying to learn more about the earlier cars which I don't know much about at all. Sorry if I seem a bit thick on this particular subject. Just learning.

Guest DodgeKCL

Here's the side photo of the ring as promised. It's not the best but it shows everything. You can see one of the 'bumps'. If wfulks needs exact measurements I'll supply them but as I've said I know that there are at least 2 sizes of these rings. It would be better to find hubcaps and make rings to fit those. BTW there are 2 different sizes of the SAME hubcap in these special wooden wheels. There are also ALUMINUM hubcaps for these wheels. I've always assumed the aluminum ones were aftermarket from the 30s. Normally the caps are chromed steel with the embossed word DODGE or PLYMOUTH sprayed in black, or red, flat paint. I've seen both colors and have never figured out why the red and/or black. Wire wheel hubcaps in 1933 had the word DODGE painted flat red but it seems that '34 caps and after were black. But I'm not sure. Yet.

post-31311-143138996002_thumb.jpg

Finally it stopped sprinkling on and off the past two days long enough for me to grab some shots of the hubcap ring on my 32DL.

Use the inch scale on the ruler…the other one is NOT metric, it’s pica.

I know almost anything can be reproduced, but, frankly, this ring is complicated enough that it would probably be pretty tricky (read expensive) to tackle.

(For really BIG close-ups, click on each image several times!)

post-61720-143138996946_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138996961_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138996975_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138996989_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138997006_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138997024_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138997037_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138997052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Guest wfulks

Just let me know.

I would appreciate it so very much. Is there a number I can call you to give you my address or would you rather call me?

Guest wfulks

Just let me know.

I appreciate all the pictures. I hope my guy can work magic for me.

Guest wfulks

Thanks so much, I appreciate the pictures and I will keep my eyes and ears open if any original ones show up.