Plymouth "U" engine?

Dodgy6

Can anyone confirm this engine and gearbox for me. I'm fairly certain it is from a Plymouth "U" which is 1929 I think from a little research so far.

Engine #: U102976

I don't know anything about this gearbox as the stick won't move as it is right now. Is it a 3 speed? And which way does the stick shift for the gears? ie, standard "H" etc.

I have a 1929 Dodge DA (6 cyl, 3 speed{?}) which I am sourcing parts for, and I picked up this engine and gearbox - is there anything here, internal or external, that I may be able to utilise on my vehicle?

Many thanks, Ross :)

post-84687-143138964661_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138964703_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138964747_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138964789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

Looks like a Plymouth "U" engine to me. The transmission is as you guessed...three speed, "H" shift pattern (probably with square cut gears). Don't really know about what will interchange with your Dodge.

Remember that even though Chrysler had bought Dodge in 1928, Dodge cars were still Dodge designs for several more years. I think the first Dodge to use Chrysler parts was the DD of 1930. (Chrysler got a lot of mileage out of their 109"wheelbase chassis; Plymouth, Dodge DD, Chrysler CJ and ??). I would be very surprised if there was anything in the Plymouth U that interchanged with the Dodge DA.

Thanks all. Very helpful. :)

Anyone need anything off these? PM me if you do.

It was used as a stationary engine to run a woodworking shop before it dumped. Its been sitting outside since the late 60's so I am told and has been robbed of a few bits in the meantime. Unfortunately when it was dumped it was straight on the dirt and has rusted underneath on the flywheel and clutch housing. I have removed the gearbox and the filler plug is missing so water has got in there rusting things up a little bit, so it is siezed in the stick mechanism but the gears turn but not a full revolution - one of the lower cogs must but junked too much on one side. When I took the top cover off to have a look a couple of cockroaches ran out!

Engine block has been welded up on the side - maybe a thrown conrod at some point. The engine turns, but again not a full revolution. I havn't found out why yet but I suspect it is something lower down. I can hear the cylinders sucking as it turns.