1955 A/C

Paul Falabella

The 55 Roadmaster I just got is air conditioned. I noticed some vehicles of the era have a clear plastic duct from the parcel shelf extending to a metal duct with vents for the front and rear seats down the side of the roof. My a/c ducts end at the top of the rear window and have a small adjustable flaps for the rear seat. Was one dealer installed and one factory?

What will likely be needed to get it to blow cold? Heard of several different acceptable refrigerants for R-12.

Thanks

It is directly compatible with Freon (R-12). There are many opinions on the interwebz about it saying it is flammable or doesn't cool well, etc. In my experience, in MY car with factory AC, I am happy with the cooling of Freeze 12. It (package tray air) is not as good as air blowing in your face, and it is pi$$ing in the wind above 95 degrees F even with R-12.

While on the topic, what can be used to replace receiver/drier? Any available replacement?

Paul

Leave the original stock unit in place and install an in-line filter/dryer in the liquid line passenger side just in front of the rear wheel. There should be a union if it is like the small series that I have worked with; usually you can get enough slack in the line to install, but it is not a big deal to cut and flare the line. Verify that the system will hold a vacuum before installing. See my website about other compressor service procedures HERE.

Willie