Nailhead fuel filter

RivNut

Guest rsmalling

Thats right Ed, that one with the lip is for the 2x4 Air Cleaner. must be a glitch on their web site.........:(

the pa 621 is for the single carb and the pa 631 is for the 2x4's. Looking at 64 Rivi with 401.

Edited by rsmalling
more info (see edit history)

Hi, Gang. I have some original AC fuel filters (NOS, in box) left for sale for the non-AC 1963-65 Rivieras. They have the imprinted AC circle logo, and the lip at the TOP for correct mounting in the factory metal fuel filter holder. I don't have the price handy, since I'm not at home right now. Just PM me, if you want purchase info. Thanks. John

63 and 64 Rivieras with a single 4 bb. and the "pancake" breather need a lip on on the filter as well. Otherwise, the lid will fall down inside the breather. The part #PA621 appears to be one for a single 4 bbl on a '65. 65's didn't come with the "pancake" breather. I also noticed that Baldwin doesn't show an air filter for a '63 Riviera and I know for a fact that they take the same filter as the '64. The only difference is that the breather on the '63 is red and the breather on the '64 is black. IMHO, you need to take a lot of what you see in on-line catalogs with a grain of salt. They could be thinking that all 401's and 425's for 1964, regardless if it a Riviera, a Wildcat, or an Electra all take the same part number - not true.

Just recently I ordered an AC-Delco air filter for my '64 - part #A85c - from Advance Auto. They had it shipped to a local store and I picked it up for around $15. I got the part number off the box; I don't know if they can get you one for a 2x4 engine or not. Find an older guy who's worked at the store for a long time and have him dig out the big catalog. The "newby" counter guys who are depending on the computer to tell you what's available are doing just that - telling you what's available to them, not what's available from the manufacturer. The bigger jabbers list only the most commonly needed parts, not the rare ones nor everything that is still manufactured.

Ed

Guest rsmalling

Thanks Ed,

Did not know that about the lip on the 63 and 64. yeah on the grain of salt with catalogs and newby parts guys!

Thats right Ed, that one with the lip is for the 2x4 Air Cleaner. must be a glitch on their web site.........:(

the pa 621 is for the single carb and the pa 631 is for the 2x4's. Looking at 64 Rivi with 401.

Not really related to the air cleaner discussion - but all 64s had 425s if they are original. The 401 was available in 63 and 65/66.... just as an FYI.

To be even more exact, 401's were not available with the Riviera in '66. First, last, and only year for a Quadrajet powered nailhead - 425. Until those 179 dual quad units left the factory starting mid year. The '66 Riviera GS chrome dress up package also used the 63 / 64 pancake breather but as mentioned, it was chrome plated.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)