Hello all. I'm new and will appreciate input.

Guest Sam Garland

Guest Sam Garland

Hello fellow Riviera owners. I've recently decided to dabble in the classic car restore/flip community and fell in love, again, with the old Rivieras! I found a '69 two owner that has been garaged for the last 10 or 12 years. It looks rough right now but all the parts are there and I plan on restoring it to showroom condition (with a few modern updates, Sound system) and use it as my everyday car. I'll probably have several elementary questions and trust that you nice people will assist me. I'll post pictures soon and then along and along as the project progresses. Thanks for allowing me to join you. I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Welcome Sam and congrats on the 69. If you don't have a chassis service manual yet pick one up. Its the best money you can spend at this time.

Besides the friendly group here, check out ROA if you haven't already for a ton of info and comaraderie.

Post some pics when you can.

Guest Sam Garland

Thank JZ. I joined ROA this morning. I'll also try to locate the chasis service manual. Hope to have pics up in the next couple days. Happy motoring!

Guest rsmalling

Welcome Sam,

you have come to the right place. Lots of helpful folks here. your project sounds like a good one indeed! 69 Rivi, cool!

Sam,

In your info, you don't say where you're from. If you're anywhere close to California, you might want to check out the annual meeting of the ROA for this year. We're going to be gathering in Monterey, CA the first week in June. Meet fellow ROA members, look at a bunch of cars, and ask a bunch of questions. You can find details on the website. The link is part of my signature.

Ed

Guest Sam Garland

Thanks for your reply. I'm in South GA and am not going to be able to make the convention this year but hopefully I'll be able to make plans for next year.

I went and picked-up my car with a rollback yesterday and the man had found the original sales invoice! I found out that my car is a '67 and not a '69. Another man named Sam paid $5700 for it new in '67. I can't wait to get it restored to its' original granduer! Pictures soon.

Thanks for your reply. I'm in South GA and am not going to be able to make the convention this year but hopefully I'll be able to make plans for next year.

I went and picked-up my car with a rollback yesterday and the man had found the original sales invoice! I found out that my car is a '67 and not a '69. Another man named Sam paid $5700 for it new in '67. I can't wait to get it restored to its' original granduer! Pictures soon.

Oh Boy - 66 or 67 is on my wish list .... :-)

Congratulations and welcome !

Welcome to this site, and the ROA Sam, and good luck with that '67 !

The second generation Rivieras are very popular, and very nice looking cars - good advice from Jason. Get yourself a '67 Buick Shop Manual and a '67 Fisher Body Manual, they are probably the best investment you can make next to your membership in the ROA !! :D

Get some pics up when you can, and document the resto with lots of pics.

The ROA events rotate in three year cycles. Central (Branson, MO - 2011), West (Monterey, CA - 2012), and East (to be named later.) Chances are you'll be in good shape to attend in 2013.

Having the original invoice will help you in determining how the car was equipped when it came from the factory and that's a big plus when restoring a car.

1967 was the 2nd year for the 2nd generation Riviera but the first year for the new 430 cid Buick big block. 67 - 70 Rivs share lots of chassis / engine parts because they're based on the same platform. You should have no problem finding parts. I personally think the '66 and '67 Rivieras are some of the best looking cars. (IMHO the 68 and 69's put too much emphasis on the front bumper - my opinion, no need to contradict me ;)) I've had two 66's and one '67. I really liked that 430 engine in my '67. The 430 was the precursor for the 455. Buick built lots of those engines and there are many parts available for them if needed.

Looking forward to hearing more about your car, seeing some pictures, and meeting you in 2013.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Welcome to a great resource and a bunch of really nice people. There has never been a question that I have fielded here that hasn"t recieved a decent answer and helped me solve the problem of the day. I just feel I have to let you know that making money "Flipping " these cars is not going to happen . By the time you REALLY restore one of these Rivieras you will have twice the money into the car than you will ever get out of it. They are a labor of love ,and deserve all the attention they are getting these days , but dont bank your retirement on it. We all look forward to pictures of your new ride !!!!

Guest Sam Garland

I ascertained that fact a few weeks ago. I really like the Riv but I agree that this IS NOT the car with which to make money . This is going to be my everyday car. I recently purchased a numbers matching '67 Impala 396/325 that didn't have quite the umph I wanted so I stuck a ZZ 502 in it with wonderful results. But, of course, it isn't an 'errands' car. The Riv is beautiful-I'm giddy with excitement. Pictures very soon, really

Thank you all for the outpouring of welcome you've all shown me. Looking forward to interaction and anxiously awaiting the eastern meeting of ROA next year.

Sam