1928 Dodge Brothers Four Screen

Guest brian j

Hi. There's also a possibility if you are backing off the trailer at a STEEP angle you could starve the fuel pickup, or if you have a small sealing issue from the tank to the fuel pump it might not be able to PULL gas, or your float could react to the steep angle. In other words it could be the angle itself that causes the problem. Just a guess, on my part.

I don't think it's the angle as the missing and backfire is continuing as I drive on , pretty much the flat street surface with hardly any angle, if any. I recently had the generator rebuilt and according to my meter it is working fine, plenty of charge while at idle. I didn't notice any drop when the backfiring and missing occurs. Kinda feels like the timing is off, but should I be able to adjust that with the lever at the steering column? I have always been told that, Up advances the spark and down retards the spark. Is this right or wrong.

HELP!

Juan, I think the reason that the condenser is being considered as the culprit is that the problem is something that has stopped working which was working before, so altering the timing or carburation will not remedy it and condensers have got a reputation for failing even though quite recently fitted. Poor quality contact breaker points and rotor arms are among other problem areas.

Take another look at the points gap; the heel can wear quite quickly and close up the gap.

Also to answer your question, yes, to bring down the lever will retard the ignition but as the setting hasn't changed (unless you have not tightened the clamp) this will not fix your problem.

Ray

I would think that if you had a faulty condenser you would have difficulty in starting; if at all.

About spark plugs - I was surprised at how big they are!. I will probably be able to get replacements from the Green Spark Plug Company but I expect you will find them somewhere in the States.

Ray

Juan: Also check all distributor / coil wiring connections while you are in there for the condenser. Loose connections or shorts where the wire passes through the distributor wall (or any other place that is insulated) could cause similar drivability issues.