1930 wire wheel sizes and lock rings

dneivandt

I am looking for lock rings for the 18" wire wheels that are on my Canadian built 1930 Dodge DC-8 Coupe. A 1935 National Wheel and Rim catalog states that the lock rings are the same as those used on some 1930 Buicks (it was non-specific, so both US and Canadian I presume). I am trying to confirm this, and narrow down the 1930 Buick models that used 18" wheels (if any). I have attached 2 photos of the correct lock rings for my coupe.

many thanks in advance for any help,

David

post-72748-14313893518_thumb.jpg

post-72748-143138935184_thumb.jpg

Edited by dneivandt (see edit history)

David,

My 31 Model 57 Buick has 18" artillery wheels, & I know that the chassis of the early 1931 50 series buicks are the same as a 1930 Buick Marquette. I believe some Marquettes came with wire wheels that may be the same as your car. But these are some of the most rare Buicks and would therefore be hard to find.

Good luck,

• 4 weeks later...

G'day David,

Stewart Perry here.

We produced new locking rings for our DeSoto CF8. (19" rings)

We will need to produce a set for our DC 8 Roadster also. We could make a set for you at the same time we make ours if that helps.

They costs us about AU$400 per ring.

Just as a side note new rims are available in AUS too for AU$220 each

Cheers

Stewart

Guest Mike Hanning

Hi David,

Those lock rings appear to be the same as the 18" ones on my 1930 model 40 Buick. There is a company here in Christchurch New Zealand that make them too.

Best regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike and Stewart, thank you both for the information-I very much appreciate it. Bill Gess has told me that Coker Tire makes them too-they do not have the notch, but of course these could be ground or filed in at the correct place. The profile of the Coker ones looks to be correct for the US lock rings-but not for the Canadian ones. Mike, would you mind sending me or posting, the details of the company in Christchurch?

many thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Larry, unfortunately these are 25" versus the 18" that I need.

On a separate note, the rings made by Veteran Car Rims of New Zealand are a different profile to both the US and Canadian DC-8 rings. I have yet to hear back from Coker Tire.

Thanks for keeping an eye out Larry, I very much appreciate it.

David

• 3 weeks later...