80 yr old nuts

Dodgy6

I have been amazed whilst doing the strip down on my chassis how very few bolts I have snapped so far. Some are incredibly corroded. The vehicle has been out in the weather down the paddock for who knows how long but a bit a squirt with WD40, half an hours wait then another squirt and maybe 95% of them are unscrewing nicely.

They must have used some good quality steel for their nuts and bolts back in the day or coated the threads in something on assembly.

Whatever it is, here's cheers to the Dodge Brothers and their 80 yr old nuts! :)

Ah yes.

This post is begging for a reply concerning those old..uh, items mentioned... but out of respect to some who may be reading this, I'll refrain.

I'm sure Horace and John are happy to hear you compliment their...uh...mechanical fasteners...

The other difference in those old...uh, screw on things....is that they're "heavy", in that they're thicker than new ones being made now. Wow, there's a lot of truth in that, huh?

Oh, guess I just did post about them.....

Yes Dodgy6, I've found the same to be true, whereas the nut is so rusted away you can't even adapt a wrench on it, but with a bit of any type penetrating oil for a short time, and using Vise-Grips, the fastener will yield open. Possibly back in those days, the metal had more chromium or something in it to withstand the weather. I don't think they ever coated the threads with anything, albeit a coat of good 'ole lead paint on the assemblies.---Pete.

I have been amazed whilst doing the strip down on my chassis how very few bolts I have snapped so far. Some are incredibly corroded. The vehicle has been out in the weather down the paddock for who knows how long but a bit a squirt with WD40, half an hours wait then another squirt and maybe 95% of them are unscrewing nicely.

They must have used some good quality steel for their nuts and bolts back in the day or coated the threads in something on assembly.

Whatever it is, here's cheers to the Dodge Brothers and their 80 yr old nuts! :)

You will prob. note if you clean the heads gently that many of them are stamped with a circle DB on them, nice to keep them and put them back from whence they came

Yes Dodgy6, I've found the same to be true, whereas the nut is so rusted away you can't even adapt a wrench on it, but with a bit of any type penetrating oil for a short time, and using Vise-Grips, the fastener will yield open. Possibly back in those days, the metal had more chromium or something in it to withstand the weather. I don't think they ever coated the threads with anything, albeit a coat of good 'ole lead paint on the assemblies.---Pete.

Steel was more pure, you didnt have someone Hyundai infecting your D.B

Guest DodgeKCL

Actually I think those DPCD stamped bolts are post WWII. DeSoto was around until 1961 I think. Any original bolts in the frame,steering or engine I've come across from as late as 1935 are marked DB. I have found a couple of DPCD bolts in the engine compartment but have always thought they were from later repairs by the local dealer.

Early "heavy" and/or correct bolts and nuts are getting hard to come by, as are slotted screws at the local hardware store (everyone seems to be in love with Mr. Phillips), but that sure looks pricey at almost $3 per bolt.....

Guest DodgeKCL

I've said it before but I'll say it again, go to the local farm implement store; as in 'Co-Op'. I realize some of you are deep inside cities but it will be worth your while to go out into the boonies and buy your stuff there. They sell it by the pound or Kg and it is a LOT cheaper by weight than by piece. All of my outlets also sell nylon inserted compression locknuts like they use on aircraft. Just not AN standard. (Which would be $3 a nut!) But they work just as well and are all I use on my lawnmower/tractor/snowblower/daily drivers now. They sell those by weight as well. I also use them in the old cars and trucks 'behind the scenes' where they will not be seen as I only want to restore the vehicle once. Round headed slotted screws can be found there as well as farmers,at least around here, hate philips screws with a vengence.

I actually contemplated contacting the federal government to have philips head screws banned in Canada. I may yet do it. I don't know how far I'll get though. I bought an RV that was made in the U.S. back in the 80s and it had our Robertson drive screws all over it. The manufacturer,Jayco, included a red handled screwdriver (We would call it a #2 Robertson) in the bag with the RV instructions. Seems Jayco thought it would be better to build their products using the Canadian Robertson screws than the American/Ford Motor Co. philips junk.

I guess you all know the story of why we are inundated with philips screws today? Peter Robertson of Milton Ont. just west outside Toronto showed Henry Ford his square drive screw back when Ford was just starting. Philips from the U.S. also showed Ford his patented screw but gave Ford a better deal than Robertson was prepared to. Ford ever the miser looking to bring down the wholesale price of his car went with philips screws. And that made philips the dominant screw in the U.S. and eventually around the world. So every time you have to drill out a philips screw because the drive is obliterated, don't say 'son of a *****' say 'Henry Ford' as your curse.

DodgeKCL: There are DPCD head bolts all over my '36. They are original. So that would mean the '36 model was the first to use those style bolts? Interesting.

That is an interesting factlet... Don't know of any '36 Chrysler product cars in my area but I do know of some '35s and '37s. I'll have to check on those vehicles and with the owners to see what bolts they have or found.

My '33 Plymouth has "DB" bolts all over it.

Not all of them on DA are, but if some of them are original then you will absalutely posatively without a doubt in my mind :P find some of your bolts stamped with a small circle and within that circle will be a D.B