1922 Essex wheelbase

Hello. New to the Hudson scene.

What was the wheelbase of the '22 Essex coach

and the overall length and height?

Also, were these cars equipped with an inside rear view mirror?

If not, any thoughts on an appropriate substitute mirror (Model T? Model A? aftermarket, etc.)

thnx

Wheel base is 108.5"

There were 2 editions in 1922. the changes started in april. The 2nd edition's most noticable change is the fenders have a slightly peaked crown to them to resemble the rad shape.

I dought that rear veiw mirrors were standard. I would be a good idea to have one. I would stay away from ford mirrors as all you will here about you car is "Hey, thats a model T mirror" . find on you like, and looks good.

PS these little essex 4's are a blast to drive!!!!

Yes, inside rear view mirrors were standard. They appear in all appropriately angled period advertising. Small, rectangular. The '22 E Coach I had some years ago had one but of course I never had cause to photograph it. Look at Restoration Supply Company for mirrors and perhaps get the inexpensive suction cup one until you find an authentic E original.

post-57494-143138927987_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't quite finished the deal on this particular car, but it does interest me a great deal. These Essex models are really cool looking and innovative for the era with the fabricated bodies.

Another question. I am 6'2" tall. I can cram myself into a Model T coupe in relative comfort. I know the Essex is a small car (bigger than a T, of course),

will I have any problems getting in and driving in some comfort?

Im 6'4.

athough i have never driven an Essex coach, we have an essex 23 touring an no problem. In fact it has more leg room than our 1925 Hudson coach.

With the way that the fold up seats work. We easly made 2" long brackets to extend the seats back, as there is no factory adjustment.

Do you know if the car your looking at has the correct rear end. You will find that most E4,s in north america have the later E6 rear end in them. This was done as the tires on the e6 were way more common and cheaper and wreaking yards from the day were full of E6 as they were inferior to the E4s.

The car should be on 32"x 4" tires

I don't know which rear axle setup it has.

I do know it has balloon tires, so I am assuming they are 21".

They may be a retro-fit for a '22. I know they were offered on the

later 6 cyl. model.

I'll ask the current owner.

Although I am usually a hell-bent purist, I can live with a few mechanical, safety, and performance upgrades as long as they are not distracting, e.g., safety glass in a Model T or modern distributor guts in my Dodge roadster.

Thanks for all help. I think this Hudson group is going to be helpful and a lot of fun to boot!

If it has 21" its an E6 rear. with that you will be doing about 40 mph at 3000 rpm. With the E4 rear and 24's you should be doing 70mph at 3000rpm.

This is the main reason that E4's are so rare, they blew them up after the rear end conversion.

Find a copy of the new White Triangle News, It has a 2 page centerfold on the coach and its body work lay out,

Any pics of the car your looking to get ??