1938 Special Correct Emblem enamel

Guest locoincolo

Guest locoincolo

Does anyone have a nice closeup pic of the front end Buick emblem for a '38 special? I'd like to paint mine appropriately and I'm finding it difficult to get a good example.

Likewise with the "Special" on the cowl sides. Can't tell exactly how it should look as it came from the factory.

Any pointers are highly welcome.

For the emblem: The indented squares in the diagonal band are blue. The fields to either side are a translucent red. The indented lines that surround the emblem are also blue. I bought a repro from a guy in Florida, I think his name was Joe Krebs. Good quality, I think around $100 shipped. The color (or lack of) on the model designation on the sides of the hood has been discussed in previous threads. Cars I believe to be original had the letters painted red, but other members seem to have evidence to the contrary. Red looks good, in any case, and it's the color you'll most often see the letters painted.

Guest locoincolo

Ok, so the word Special ought to be Red, or a dark color, or polished with no paint.

Hmmm.

Looks like I'm in the right place for some serious discussion about what is "correct" and what is not. I'm a Mustang guy, and consider myself a relative expert in the 67/68 model years, but I'm a total moron when it comes to these old Buicks.

I like, and have seen, the Red color. My Special "seems" that a Red color was painted into the word "Special"... but how can I know if that's factory?

Thanks so much for the info- this is so much fun!

Guest Grant Magrath

We've got a 1838 sales brochure. I'll see if I can see anything. There is one online at The Old Car Manuel Project, but you can't make out the "Special" in the pictures.

Cheers

Grant

My opinion is red due to the factory photos as West provided and from the documentation found here

1937 and 1938 Buicks www.1937and1938Buicks.com

Volume XIV, Issue #1 page 19 (Page 21 of the PDF)

As you can tell this is an item very much open to interpretation as are several other emblem's colors.

I also think red pops really nice in contract to the chrome and silver, especially if you use the translucent red like was originally used. I used modeler's paint by Tamiya X-27 Clear Red. Worked great.

Guest locoincolo

Thanks everybody. I personally like the Red color - and it appears that mine was painted red at some point. I'll try that model paint, Brian - thanks for the tip.

Definitely a fine forum here.

Guest ewing

for fear of repeating myself, in my opinion the letters in special were not painted ...any colour. I bought my 1938 Special in 1967 and it was truly a used car, not touched up or restored in any way... it was a driver on a used car lot.

I have not restored or touched up the special emblem in any way, and there is no trace of any paint ever having been applied.

My car was built in Canada, and there are always subtle differences between Canada and US built , so all I wanted to achieve is to add this comment to the discussion... I am not an expert!

So, if you want to give the letters a red highlight, its up to you. For me, its unpainted. And where the old photos appear dark... just the debossing and shadow contrast is the way I explain what I see.

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

I can't see any evidence of color on our 38 as well. But after 74 years..... Still need to check out that brochure.

Cheers

Grant

Guest ewing

and keep in mind that the old colour brochures were not actual car pictures but artist portrayals so they may not be the best indicator of how the cars were trimmed out... close! to be sure , but fine details like the emblem may not be as issued on the actual car. but..., by way of interest, I just checked , and I have 3 different types of colour brochures for 38 Buick and none show any hint of colour in the side model emblem names.

I am beginning to believe that people that see traces of colour in them now, are seeing the remnants of paint applied by others after delivery, or during an older restoration.

Just my 2 cents.

and keep in mind that the old colour brochures were not actual car pictures but artist portrayals so they may not be the best indicator of how the cars were trimmed out... close! to be sure , but fine details like the emblem may not be as issued on the actual car. but..., by way of interest, I just checked , and I have 3 different types of colour brochures for 38 Buick and none show any hint of colour in the side model emblem names.

I am beginning to believe that people that see traces of colour in them now, are seeing the remnants of paint applied by others after delivery, or during an older restoration.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed the color renderings are worthless in my opinion for authenticity verification as they are filled with simple mistakes so details can't be trusted.

With regards to the photos I will agree to disagree on that as I think it is not a shadow.

What I think we can safely say on this is that no one really knows for sure, so red or silver do it the way you like it and there is at least enough doucmentation to show any questioning judge that there is no right answer on this and in both AACA and BCA if the judge doesn't know they should not deduct.