1939 Special radiator

39BuickEight

Hey there guys, I took my radiator to be looked over, and it's what I thought, it's been repaired and patched so many times before that it can't be saved again. Does anyone have any recommendations for me as far as a replacement? The tanks are bulging out too, must have has some bad problems in the past.

Our radiator core was replaced a few years ago. We had the option of a "modern" core or in the old style. To avoid regrets we went for the old style even though it was more expensive. The original tanks were used.

This is in New Zealand, but there must be companies offering a similar service in your country too.

Hi, Billy. The '39 Chev radiators won't interchange with your 1939 40 series Buick. As you know, proper cooling can be a possible problem area for our 1939 Buicks....so, I would not skimp in this area. You don't want to be taking the radiator out of your '39 after your restoration is completed.

For the lowest price solution, any radiator repair shop worth its salt can install a modern design, brass core on your existing tanks. If your tanks are junk, it shouldn't be hard to find a good pair (maybe from an otherwise bad radiator).

If you want total originality, you can do as Terry Stock mentioned above, and use the old honeycomb-design radiator core material on your tanks (or better ones). You may have to work a lot harder to find a radiator shop that can get the honeycomb core...or wants to mess with it. It couild cost you nearly twice as much to use the honeycomb core material, so be sure to shop carefully, if you decide to go that route. John

Guest Grant Magrath

FWIW, we went with the new core design on the coupe. The 38 still has the old style, although it's probably due for replacement.

Cheers

Grant

There is a newer style radiator core available that provides better cooling (a little) but looks so close to the old style that I, for one, can't tell the difference just looking at the radiator. I have several radiators that are shot, but have good tanks. If you want to pay for it, I can get the local radiator guy to remove the tanks from the core so that postage would not be such a big issue. I believe I can spare one......one in particular has a chromed top tank...came from a car being street rodded, and I bought the straight 8 and many of the othe parts. I guess it can be de-chromed. I think the one I would prefer to sell has dented top tank and a decent body man could straighten it. I haven't looked at these radiators in quite some time.

Thanks! We are checking one more radiaitor guy here locally for a second opinion. If we strike out again, I may take you up on that! As far as chrome goes, you can always blast and paint it.

Is this newer style radiator core available on-line somewhere, or is it just something a shop would fabricate to fit the dimensions?

Thanks! We are checking one more radiaitor guy here locally for a second opinion. If we strike out again, I may take you up on that! As far as chrome goes, you can always blast and paint it.

Is this newer style radiator core available on-line somewhere, or is it just something a shop would fabricate to fit the dimensions?

The newer style core was in stock here at the local radiator shop (Chaney's in Avon Park, FL). Or, if it wasn't, he had it the next day. I can't remember what he called it, but to the naked eye of an amateur like me, it looks just like the original but cools better (according to the radiator man...I didn't find that to be true). A '39 Buick does not have a honeycomb radiator. I can't call the correct name, but GM used it for years. I want to call the new one a box style, but that's probably wrong.