SUBTLE UPDGADES ???

Guest 1930

Jason, At $37,000 thats a whole lot of subtle upgrades! But I would imagine that once you replaced the sealed beam headlights with original lenses and reflectors and worked rearward, the rest of the restoration would be easy, in a subtle way. Terry

I would MUCH rather spend my hard earned $35,000.00 (which I don't have either!) on THIS subtly unmodified '36 Dodge Dodge | eBay.

Although this one did start at $47,000.00 'BIN', they are a bit closer to being realistic now. I would hold out for the next $10,000.00 drop and then give it some thought - maybe. At least it's not modified! I'd rather drive a real Dodge than a Buick. :eek:

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

that motor is really something else, don't you think? I agree with you about the price; I just wonder how much they paid for it??

For that money, I would expect a better condition interior. Yes, it is original and I wouldn't want to change that but with some sympathetic attention, I could have it looking a good deal better but then I am daft enough to spend hours on end on the smallest detail.

I would sooner spend the money on that beautiful car than waste it on another modern which is what I will be reluctantly doing next week. Ouch!

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I thinking that it would have steering problems with the MII rack attached to the straight axle.

I am wondering how the column would attach to a suspended axel. It looks to have coil overs on there but only one pic of that front end doesnt show how it is located. (Radius bars, panhard bar ect.)

Good point, however the technolgy of today far outweighs what was built into cars of the 30s. I build alot of suspensions and have never seen this idea.

Your average racecar of today doesnt have straight axels but the power rack makes for easier driving..I have seen R and P hooked up to straight axels before on some street rods, but welding the rack directly to the axel has me baffled.

Just my observation.

I suppose there must be a sliding spline (like on a propshaft) on the column to cope with the up and down movement, and that must somehow swivel to compensate for the swing of the axle? It would be quite ingenious if it worked but it all smacks of trying to re-invent the wheel to me.

Like I said, why try to improve upon tried and tested methods. By the way, some of the sweetest steering cars were made in the 1920's. In my opinion.

cheers,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I like to build my own. They hold value better than most factory built cars. I do have a couple of late model vehicles in my stable for winter driving.

I know that you all think I am a die hard rodder, however I have more original vehicles in my collection than built cars.

I just get more satisfaction building my own. Stock vehicles have already been built and dont tickle my imagination as much. This is why I talk about them more.

Dont take me wrong here, I have a tremendous respect for those that enjoy to restore to original. And I enjoy to talk shop with all of you.

I say to each his own as long as you are having fun.