1990 Reatta Front struts

David White

Hello all I want to buy a set of front struts for my 1990 Reatta. There are some on e-bay for sale for $398 for a pair. The manufature is Suncore? based out of Florida. They are the complete unit including springs. I just wonder if they are any good as they claim they fit 94 to 96 Caddilac De-ville as well.

Is a Reatta passive or Electronic struts???

David White

Suppose they are available (would that be a "loaded" strut ?) but never heard of being sold that way. Reatta struts are "just struts" (passive) & suspect were used by just about everything 3800 (98, Bonneville, LeSabre, Floating Bull) of the period)

Most people, including me, prefer the Monroe Sensa-trac struts. I haven't used them on my Reatta but they were great on my Fiero Formula. They were a huge improvement over the stock struts. I have never saw them with springs already installed but they might be available.

The Suncore brand struts in the eBay ad you refer to are intended to be replacements for cars that came with air bag or electronic suspension systems that originally did not have springs. I would be leery of buying from a company that lists the same strut for '89-'91 models as also fitting the '88 models.

I believe Monroe calls the complete assembly "Quick Struts" but they do not list them for our Buick or siblings. You could buy the struts and have the assembly taken apart and reassembled with the original spring for your own installation, for a price. If you cannot do the installation yourself, you are probably better off using a garage you trust. You will need an alignment in any case.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spongebob

i just did the front end on my 90..i cant believe i paid $160 for the "covers" that protect the rod....from GM..