93-year-old woman retires her 64 Mercury.

Shop Rat

Susan,

Sorry to see that her vision is ending her time driving her beloved car. She is an AACA Member. I think she was previously featured in Antique Automobile, or maybe it was the Speedster email newsletter. Check out this discussion for a little bit more information.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/rachel-veitch-91yo-600-000-mile-279574.html

Sorry to see that her vision is ending her time driving her beloved car.

That's a full life - I'll be stunned if I'm still driving at 93 ...

... and the real knowledge of my "inability to drive at some point" does affect some of my old car decision-making. Anybody else?

Glad I got to see her drive this car in the July 4th Geneva, Florida 4th of July parade. She had a big smile on her face with the people waving at her. Sorry to see that she has to quit driving though, losing your independence is a tough thing for many older people.

Just goes to show that any car will last given the right care and right climate. '64 Comets rusted out really bad around here if used in winter. I love this story, though, and have watched it a few times on You Tube. I also caught her on the Tonight Show awhile back.

Guest straight shooter

She said a few years ago that she had probably spent around $50,000 in repairs and maintenance throughout the life of the car. Most people, especially nowadays, get rid of their cars and buy a new one the minute the warranty runs out and it starts costing them money in repairs. People also put too much of an emphasis on driving new cars because people label you as not well off if your car is older than 4 years.