window glass in hard top separating

Guest tctoy89

Guest tctoy89

1989 red hard top with glass separating in the round windows with the emblem. Is the emblem sandwiched between two panes. If so there are bubbles forming around the edges. Can this be fixed?

Guest Jim_McNally

Search in the post archives for porthole window repair - there are many posts about this, and what to do. It's probably the #1 cosmetic issue with these vehicles...

Jim

Guest tctoy89
Search in the post archives for porthole window repair - there are many posts about this, and what to do. It's probably the #1 cosmetic issue with these vehicles...

Jim

Thanks for the info. Where are the archives? I am new at this, obviously. Fred

Guest Jim_McNally

I was just thinking of the search function on the main page of this forum - it's the tab right above where it has "Ratings Last Post Replies Views" I just ran a search for "porthole" and got 46 threads...

Jim

Speaking of these windows.... I have read all the posts and the recent newsletter reprint of how to separate the windows. I can't find the right tool to get behind the outer glass.. Anyone have a suggestion ? Joe47 :confused:

Guest Lee_M

joe47,

i used a hair drier to warm the outer glass and urethane sealant sandwiched in between the outer and inner panes.

to pry the outer glass free, i used a plastic painter's scraper,in order to avoid marking the paint around the opera window.

i think you have little to worry about with breaking the glass.

go slow and gentle.

oh, although i do recall that at some point the urethane will suddenly let go, so be ready to catch the glass - another warm body and pair of hands with a cardboard box underneath, maybe...

joe47,

i used a hair drier to warm the outer glass and urethane sealant sandwiched in between the outer and inner panes.

to pry the outer glass free, i used a plastic painter's scraper,in order to avoid marking the paint around the opera window.

i think you have little to worry about with breaking the glass.

go slow and gentle.

oh, although i do recall that at some point the urethane will suddenly let go, so be ready to catch the glass - another warm body and pair of hands with a cardboard box underneath, maybe...

Frankly, for years I have been driving my TC without the outer glass pane of the window. The Trident is still in place and the window does not leak as it is securely adhered to the top on the backside of the top. Looks real good too.