How to do interior on 1970's bug??

Guest Love_the_bugs

Guest Love_the_bugs

I recently purchased a 1970's vw beetle. I've found several kits to redo the interior of it. But i am kinda lost when it come's to the first step in restoring it. i wanna redo everything inside, the dash/radio/carpet/upholstery/ speaker panel in the back/ an the head liner/ door panels, if anyone could lead me in the direction of step by step instructions on how to do it or just give me some tips on the first thing to tackle id be really great full.

Start by removing the seats. With the seats out you can replace the headliner. This should be avoided if possible because you have to remove the windshield and windows to do it right. Then you have to replace the windows with new rubber.

With the headliner cleaned or replaced, now you can replace the door panels interior panels and carpet.

Once the carpet is in you can replace the seats, which you recovered when you had them out.

Once the carpet is in you can replace the seats, which you recovered when you had them out.

Recover the (I presume vinyl) seats on the hottest, sunniest day of the year. Stretching the vinyl on a hot day will give the best results.:cool:

Beetle interior kits are pretty much available anywhere except Walgreens.;) Seriously, even J.C. Whitney sells kits for Bug interiors. If you google "Volkswagen beetle interior kits" there are 3,300, 000 hits on Google. Finding the right kit/instructions for your year/model should be relatively easy. Check with other owners/club members for the best ones, and if any come with step-by-step instructions if you require some.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

I concur with both Dave and Rusty. When those cars were new, there were several good interior seat kits out. Usually just the seat covers, back then, as that's all that needed to be replaced. Just be sure to get OEM-quality kits. What might look good can have a very thin cloth layer onto which the vinyl is applied . . . thicker base is best.

Similar with carpet. What might look good can easily be inferior to OEM-quality carpet and not wear very well. Networking with a local VW club can be very good to do--period. For MANY reasons!

I think I'd forego the headliner until it was absolutely necessary to replace it, especially if you will also need to replace the f/r glass rubber seals at the same time. It might be possible to short-cut the rubber seal deal if you can carefully pull the existing rubber back and tuck the new headliner material under them and make it look "right". Another place where the local club can be of help.

ALSO . . . be sure to get the valves adjusted correctly. VW engine valves will "tighten-up" their adjustment with time and use, kind of just the opposite of what you might expect. Power will drop and, if it's really bad, the engine will make a wheezing and ringing sound rather than the normal VW engine sound. This is one critical aspect of keeping the earlier VW engines alive.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

NTX5467

• 4 weeks later...
Guest greg walsh

I have a VHS tape that you can have, just send me $5 for the shipping from Fl.on a bug interior installation. Greg.