Replacing rocker panels

Guest fustydad

Guest fustydad

The rocker panels on my 41 Chrysler Royal need replaced. I thought about finding rocker panels with the same length on a used vehicle, cutting them off and having them welded in place. Does anyone have any suggestions on other/better ways to do this?

When someone asks about buying used parts to replace parts on their car, I explain to them that they have used parts now, why would you want to buy more?

Buy new ones off of a car similar if you can't find the correct ones and modify them as necc.

Rocker panels are probaly the worst parts to try and reuse.

A quick Googel check found these

https://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=6

Edited by Roger Walling
New parts available (see edit history)

Sometimes you can make a good pair out of 3 or 4 other pairs by welding good sections together. generally that would be a last resort. Rockers are usually the first place to rot. Your inners probably aren't so hot either................Bob

I bought new rockers for my '47 Ford. I would disagree as far as easy to fabricate. They were curved in two directions. Also were very difficult to install. (a body shop installed them). If the existing rockers are straight, then I would agree would be easy to fab.

Rocker panels are one of the easiest panels to make. Any body shop or tin shop with a brake can make them up.

I once made a set for a 47 Dodge airport limousine, basically the same body as the 41 Chrysler but stretched to a 139 inch wheelbase. The rocker panels were so long I could not make them on the shop brake. I cut them out, measured, and took them to a sheet metal shop where they had a 12' long brake. I don't remember the exact dimensions but they must have been 8 feet long.

The point is rocker panels and sills are not that hard to make. If you do not know how, be assured they can be made by any decent metalworker.

The chances of finding parts off another car that will fit, is practically nil. Don't mess with old used junk, find someone who can do the job right.