Could you help me??

Guest JRGoodman

Guest JRGoodman

I am looking for some information on the 22 Studebaker. I literally found one in a barn today for sale.

studebaker1.jpgstudebaker.jpg

I have no idea what to offer, he is asking 10,000 and I think that is a bit much for a car we dont know if it runs. What do you guys think?

There is a really nice 1918/20 Stude 7 passenger tourer for sale here is Australia. It is in excellent condition. 6 wheel equipped everything there! An older restoration but in drive anywhere condition. No one wants it because it is two wheel brakes.It comes with a pile of spares. Aust $17,000 asking price. OK it is right hand drive but even so it is a steal.

oldcar

post-51681-143138892934_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Guest stude8

I would guess it is the "Big Six" model, the top of the line for that year. If you measure the wheel base it should be 126", if shorter it could be a Special Six with smaller displacement engine but judging by the parking lights on windshield frame it is the Big Six.

Attached are a few pages from the 1922 catalog. The $10,000 price seems high for it if it isn't known to run? Does it have a top? The paint looks like a 2nd rate aging repaint.

Stude8

post-31139-143138893165_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138893183_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138893186_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138893202_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138893207_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313889321_thumb.jpg

Hello again

In some ways the initial purchase price has very little to do with the final cost of a fully restored car. Perhaps you should be talking to 'B' otherwise known as Packard 32. He is restoring an almost identical Studebaker. You can see his thread "1922 Studebaker Special Six" right here on Our Cars & Restoration Projects.

oldcar

Guest Bill Miller

Hi ,

That will make a very pretty car and reliable car once restored. Top quality restored '22 Studebakers, regardless of the model, are worth $17-18K and exceptional ones may bring around $20K. Figure what it is going to cost you for paint, upholstery, top irons and a new top, electrics and mechanicals, plus any missing parts (including any small bits and pieces and especially new tires, tubes and flaps----they are expensive) and subtract that figure from about $18K. That's what the car is worth as it sits.

Bill

Hi Bill

Going on my personal experience that would mean that the vendor is going to pay you about $50,000 to take it away. AND that is if you do all the dirty work and almost all the other jobs to be done on the car yourself. That is exactly what I was referring to when I said "the purchase price has very little to do with the actual cost of the car"! You have to love what you are doing AND be able to afford it.

oldcar

Guest Bill Miller

Hi oldcar,

That's often sad but true. I just call them as I see them. If money is an issue, rather than love for the car and hobby, you can never come out financially on the value of a car that needs substantial restoration unless you can do nearly all of the work yourself. Sort of like getting married to a woman you just met.

Bill

Hi Bill

You are right on the money.

The world is littered with sheds and garages filled with dismantled antique automobiles all started with the best of intentions. Many that were once complete and original restorable cars will never see the light of day again.

oldcar.