Spot welding aluminum?

Coley

On 1955/57 Chevies, (and others) the nameplates, bowtie emblems etc, have spotwelded studs on them.

Trying to find out how the factory did them.

Any replacement parts that I cast, have them cast right on the back so it is not a problem.

Just wondering....

I just happen to have someone here at home to can add some info - our son is visiting from the Coast Guard (we forced him to come with us to the show in Melborne Fla last weekend). Anyway, he has plenty of welding backgound so I'll let him borrow the keyboard for a few mns-

Terry's son here.

Picturing an embossed aluminum plate with studs on the back of it that need to be replaced, I'd recommend steering clear of any welding process. Due to the thermal qualities of Al. you'll need enough heat input for the weld that anything on the other side of the plate will be severely distorted if not destroyed. Aluminum conducts heat 10x faster than steel, and as such needs a much higher heat input to weld. The downside to this is that pure aluminum melts at 1250 degrees where steel melts at 2600 (give or take for each). That kind of heat input with a much lower melting temp is going to have an adverse effect on any printing or embossing that you want to save on the plate.

A much safer bet aultho not correct as far as restoration would be to epoxy the plate in place. As long as the outward facing surface is unblemished no one will be the wiser.

Hope this helps a bit. Dad can forward any questions to me if there are any and I'll try to help.

Not sue how the original was made - but this seems a reasonable alternative.

Terry