1955 Trunk Lid Light

packick

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a 1955 trunk lid light handy that they can share? My Century has the wiring but someone removed the light years ago and I have no idea what one looks like or where on the lid it is mounted.

Thanks.

No - it's the guide for the trunk lid. The bulb is exactly where the wire is showing. The bracket for the socket is bent in such a way that the bulb is flush with the ribs of the trunk lid. One of the pictures - the socket and the bulb where the bright light is coming out in the rectangular shape - that's where the socket and the bulb is. Hopefully this helps. George

post-54102-143138885176_thumb.jpg

post-54102-143138885199_thumb.jpg

post-54102-143138885222_thumb.jpg

George, that helps a lot. Now I have a pretty good idea what I need to do.

One final question . . . the routing of the wire. I know it comes out of a pocket in the trunk just to the left of the back seat on the driver's side. But then does it: (1) route along the driver's side of the lid to the rear end of the trunk lid (above the bumper) and then cut across to the rectangular hole; or (2) does the wire route along the front side of the lid (just behind the rear seat) to the middle of the lid and then come back to the rectangular hole; or (3) just run diagonally under the lid from the pocket where it starts directly to the rectangular hole? (Hopefully this isn't too confusing.)

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by packick (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I purchased the "round" lamp shown below from Bob's Automobilia so I could get the "ball" that permits the light to go on and off depending upon the angle. From my research, the decklid pattern (i.e., holes) on the underside of the Special and Century are different from those of the Super and Roadmaster. True? If so, is the Bob's light made only for the Super/Roadmaster?

Given that Bob's light is made for the Super/Roadmaster and will not work on the Century, I assume I have to fabricate a bracket as shown in the discussion above and cut the "round" part off of the Bob's light and mount the light tube to the fabricated bracket.

The other bracket shown below was advertised on eBay as a 1955 Buick Century bracket. From the discussion above, I wonder about that.

post-72478-143138963952_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143138963954_thumb.jpg

Edited by packick (see edit history)

I can finally put this topic to bed.

From all of the pictures everyone sent, I was able to fabricate the bracket. I had to guesstimate the dimensions but it turned out great. I also had to tear apart the Bob's light and use only the light tube. I am a happy camper. Thanks to all who participated in this thread.

• 6 years later...