Car Alarms for the 63-65 Riv's

MartyWorld

Greetings.............

I would like to drive my 65 Riviera more often..........worried about theft. What car alarms do many of you use?

We all know that if they really want your car they can get it...........but I would like to slow them down enough to become discouraged or be a deterrent and not attempt to steal the vehicle.

I have a club on the brake pedal.

Any suggestions?

Marty

Guest Kingoftheroad

My suggestion would be to forget the alarm and just not take and /or leave a 65 Riv anywhere you feel it might get stolen or vandalized. IMO

You need an alarm with a motion sensor to really get them before they do serious damage to the vehicle. I made one once for my car ('57 T-bird) with 2 mercury switches (out of old heating thermostats) mounted in the trunk.

It also prevents a simple "hook on a wrecker and drive away" theft.

There is a Lo-Jack Classic Car option:

Lo-Jack for Classic Cars

Better to not leave it where it will be at risk.

My suggestion would be to forget the alarm and just not take and /or leave a 65 Riv anywhere you feel it might get stolen or vandalized. IMO

Good afternoon.

Four Olds were stolen from a car show about three years ago. No place is sacred.

An alarm is necessary if we want to drive these cars. To invest thousands of dollars in a vehicle and not able to drive it is not logical.

I will examine various solutions to the alarm issue.

Marty

There were two things I had on my '63 so as to deter the posibility of theft. I attached a chain with a good padlock under the hood so no one would steal anything, especially the battery from under there. I also wrapped a very stout chain around the spokes of the steering wheel down to the pedals and locked that with a large excellent quality padlock.

I did the hood chain plus padlock deal on every car I owned that did not have an internal hood release.

Marty, I lived in the next town over from you back in the 90's and before. I never left that car, or any car for that matter, out of my sight unsecured anywhere I went in So-Cal.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Good afternoon.

Four Olds were stolen from a car show about three years ago. No place is sacred.

An alarm is necessary if we want to drive these cars. To invest thousands of dollars in a vehicle and not able to drive it is not logical.

I will examine various solutions to the alarm issue.

Marty

I drive my cars but, like Bleach, my cars don't leave my sight unless they are in my garage...:)

Guest Rob J

Check into the Viper Alarm systems. I have one in my daily driver Ford F150. I have the optional cell module, which with my iPhone, has an app which pages my cell when the alarm goes off. I also can track the truck with my iPhone, and I can unlock/lock doors, and start the engine with my iPhone. It's pretty sweet. Have had it installed for a little over a year now, and I like it a lot. I rarely, if ever have false alarms with it as well. So far, I have busted two people for messing with my truck while I was in a restaurant.

Something inexpensive that you can do is to get a battery disconnect and install it on the negative terminal of your battery. When you park your car, raise the hood and turn off the battery or just remove the knob. An added thing is to pull the coil wire and take it with you. A would be thief will not spend a lot of time trying to get a car to start. Also, I saw on the local news a number of years ago where a former car thief gave his opinion of "The CLUB" and defeated it by taking a bolt cutter and cutting the rim of the steering wheel. Pull the steering wheel apart a little and the club fell to the floor. It took less than 5 seconds to defeat. One more thing you can do is to cut the hot wire going to the coil and lengthen the wires into the passenger compartment and install a toggle switch somewhere under the dash out of sight. With the switch turned off, the engine will turn over but will not start. Just a couple of ideas.