STUCK CLUTCH

32PATRICIAN

I am in the final stage of assembly of my 32 Olds. I did the chassis and engine about 15 years back. I ran it around and adjusted everthing and it all worked fine.

I cranked her up yesterday and tried to put her in gear and the clutch would not release. Its up on stands and I tried starting in gear and braking while the clutch was depressed. It did`nt work ,one wheel spun and the other held.

I am thinking of jambing the out put collar at the transmission with my 36" pipe wrench and cranking with the starter with the clutch pedal depressed.

I am worried about damaging the transmission if it does`nt come free.

Do you think this is a safe option??

I know I should pull the tranny and pressure plate buttttttttt she is so close to the road I just don`t wanna start a big project.

What do you guys think I should do. It has a new disc and resurfaced plate and flywheel.

I wouldn't do that. Sometimes you can break it loose by towing but most likely not. Try this assuming there is a pan that lets you get at the bottom of the fly wheel. Block the clutch depressed and work a THIN putty knife between the clutch disc and flywheel and/or pressure plate. Usually It takes surprisingly little to break it loose..........Bob

well 30 minutes later and the job is done.

Bob you may have saved me from doing something stupid and expensive.

8 bolts on the dust cover, loosened the 6 pressure plate bolts, pryed it out with a screw driver, stuck in the thin scapper , gave a push an BINGO it popped loose.

Ready for the test drive now:D

If it will only stop raining:confused:

This happens a lot on cars that are out of commission for years. Bhigdog's solution is correct, if I may add some thoughts to make things easier

1) You don't have to unbolt the pressure plate just push down the clutch pedal and prop it down with a stick between the pedal and dash board.

2) Use the stick when storing the car, if the pedal is down the clutch won't freeze up.

3) If you can get at it, a shot of brake kleen spray on the clutch will also help loosen it up. Sometimes this is all it takes, prop the pedal down squirt some brake kleen on the clutch and let it soak in over night. Other times you have to get in with the knife blade.

The clutch plate is rusted to the fly wheel or the pressure plate. Once you break it loose riding the clutch a little will "sand" off the surface of either. Watch out it could grab at first. If you can get access to the plate pry it free from the stuck surface. A small drop of lubrication on the splined clutch shaft probably will help also. Just a small drop though.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a stock '31 Buick. To get it to move I have to race the engine a lot & let the clutch out very slowly & not all the way. In this manner I can move it a few feet.

I put the car on a lift with the clutch depressed and the clutch cover off but could see nothing as shown in the photo.

Is my next step to pull the transmission & clutch? (I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do this as the '31 "Specification Manual" is useless here!

Thanks for your help!

Stevepost-54367-143142060946_thumb.jpg