Unique 1950 Porthole Accessory

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I found this porthole on my recent junkyard expedition. I came across a hood from a '50 Buick half buried in the dirt under some old bumpers. I excavated it and carefully removed the portholes, hood badge(missing plastic insert), hood ornament, and the chrome strip. The hood was rusted through badly on the part that was buried so it wasn't usable. Anyway, one of the portholes had this thingamajig in it. An aftermarket accessory perhaps?? Only one hole had it and I looked everywhere around for more but no luck. Anybody ever seen one of these? Ben??

post-75106-143138861648_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

So I guess these were an aftermarket add-on then? Too bad I couldn't find the rest of the set. Anybody need a single one to complete a set? Free to a good home/garage if you need it.

Not like that but I did have a '50 2dr Super 51-52 years ago (ouch - that hurts) that did have inserts in each porthole. Stainless steel, well formed, notched top and bottom so a self tapping screw could be tightened to hold them in place with a number of tiny verticle louvers in them when in place. I've never seen a close up of them but looking at pictures of '50's in the Bugle it sure looks as though an occasional car has them. No pictures of the old Super myself and have always thought that they were something lost on most cars. Maybe Pete can look at original pictures that were posted in the Bugle issue covering the '50 and tell if one or two of the cars don't have something in their portholes. I thought that was the case.

Guest Rob McDonald

ROBERT, what a cool little... thingy. You have a great sense of curiosity and detail, traits that will serve you well in this hobby.