"Casablanca" 70th Anniv. Event

TG57Roadmaster

Anyone planning on attending TCM's screening of Casablanca on Wednesday, March 21st?

Playing at selected theaters all over the country, it's a great one to watch if only for the cars.

Also, Ingrid Bergman is perhaps her loveliest in this film, shot quickly on a Warner's backlot.

It's a newly-restored, digitized version that should really pop on the big screen, even if it's

playing at your local mulitplex. I'm taking a friend whose husband will be out of town,

and we're dressing for the occasion, myself in black tie and a white dinner jacket.

Not trying to channel Bogie, but I'll wager we won't be alone in going formal;

should be a memorable, elegant evening!

TG

Anyone planning on attending TCM's screening of Casablanca on Wednesday, March 21st? Playing at selected theaters all over the country, it's a great one to watch if only for the cars. Also, Ingrid Bergman is perhaps her loveliest in this film, shot quickly on a Warner's backlot. It's a newly-restored, digitized version that should really pop on the big screen, even if it's playing at your local mulitplex. I'm taking a friend whose husband will be out of town, and we're dressing for the occasion, myself in black tie and a white dinner jacket. Not trying to channel Bogie, but I'll wager we won't be alone in going formal; should be a memorable, elegant evening!

Saw Casablanca in full HD on Valentine's Day - it's like a different movie from the washed out, softened version we are used to seeing. I'd recommend it highly - and not just for the cars.

Not many cars in Casablanca.

I routinely watch movies for the old cars, and Casablanca doesn't rank up there as a "car-heavy" movie.

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_34583-Casablanca.html

A 27 Lincoln and two 1940 Buicks. That is all. And these cars appear only briefly.

The Big Sleep has more cars in the book store scene (with smokin' hot Dorothy Malone) than Casablance has in the whole movie.

PP

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Old movies with tons of old cars:

The chase scene in Call Out the Marines;

The chase scene in Never Give a Sucker an Even Break;

The horse track parking scene in A Day at the Races;

These are off the top of my head.

See the epic thread on Ford Barn "V-8 Fords on Film".

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19886

It's really not so much about the cars in the movie, it's about going to an event to watch a true classic on a large silver screen. For real variety in prewar Buicks, watch 1942's, "In This Our Life," with Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland. Some great '41's in, "Conflict," from 1945 with Bogart and Alexis Smith, even cool models in some scenes.

An all-time fave is 1942's "In This Our Life," where Davis and DeHavilland play sisters in love with the same men. A "woman's movie" for WWII audiences, it features a wide range of Buicks from '39 taxis and cop cars to a 41 Roadmaster convert in which Bette races around Richmond. Great crash at the end, and if you pay attention, you'll note it's not a Buick that goes up in flames. I saw the flic in the mid-'80's on a double bill with Hitchcock's "Rear Window," at a Mahattan revival house and have never forgotten that big screen experience. Not life-altering but soooo memorable.

:)

TG

TG Roadmaster,

Yep, Conflict shows off the Warner Brothers Buicks too. Good stuff.

Both Bogart and Davis worked for Warner Brothers. And all those awesome Buicks in their films are Warner Brothers' Buicks. And they seemed to have several. From what I understand, those cars would be used by studio people to go to studio events and on studio business when not being used on film.

A really great scene with tons of Buicks is the parking lot scene in The Big Sleep (starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall) when Bacall is robbed in the parking lot and Bogey gets her purse back. The Buicks are all over the place. Plus the gangster Eddy Mars (John Ridgley) has a 1941 Series 90 that he hauls his gang around in.

We should be making a list of films where great Buicks can be seen.

PP

PP

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World has a great amount of what would now be called old cars in it. There's more of a chance that some of us may have driven one of the cars in that film as opposed to the older ones mentioned above.;)

Another vote for Mad, Mad, Mad World--there's a cool '56 or '57 or so VW Beetle Convertible used prominently in it, among many others...

According to the IMDB site, it's a '54.

Is this the car?

i020266.jpg

Lot's more cool cars from the movie here:IMCDb.org: "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, 1963": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

Yes, that is the one! Very cool shot! I will certainly defer to what you found listed as the model year--I was just guessing from my dim memory anyway...