Unusual Riviera roof treatment

Bleach

I came across a 65 Riviera for sale somewhat locally to me. I haven't seen it yet in person but I'm waiting for a reply from the seller. The thing I saw that caught my attention was the half vinyl roof on this car. I'm wondering if it's what's left of a full vinyl roof or just some custom job.

I waiting to hear back to see if it'll be worth driving the distance to see it.

post-77797-143138859194_thumb.jpg

I did get a reply from the seller and it seems to have the usual rust in the rear window corner that was bad enough to damage the rear seat. Also it has "usual" rust in the leading edge of the hood which I'm not familiar with. It evidently doesn't have any other rust.

I forgot to ask about the roof though.:o It probably doesn't matter that much.

That certainly is a unique look for a 65! I wonder what molding was used at the rear of the vinyl top?

I have a set of the original moldings for a 65 vinyl top I'm saving in case I ever want to add one, but to my eye most colors look better without the black top.

John

That's some funky roof. Almost looks like a T-top on the photos. Regarding rust on the the leading edge of the hood, that seems to be another achilles heal for first gen Rivs. My car had it. Every first gen I've seen in a wrecking yard has some degree of rot on the leading edge. My theory is that the chrome trim on the lower edge is the reason. It's trapping moisture, probably combining with trapped dirt in the fastening holes...rust recipe. PRL