resistance value of speakers

fjr48

The front speaker system is rated at 4 ohm impedance (not DC resistance). So the built-in amplifiers are already capable of driving a lower impedance load.

To get slightly technical, impedance seen by the stereo depends on the frequency of the signal. There are impedance peaks and dips - especially in the bass region below 200 hz. So one would want to know the natural resonance frequency, the Fs, of the speaker, how wide that resonance is (Qs), and how it is matched to the enclosure, the 10 cu ft trunk, resonance point(s) and Q, to find the points(s) of lowest impedance. I suspect that GM speced 10 ohm speakers to avoid any impedance drop issues with resonances in the trunk - where much deeper bass can be emitted than from the doors. Or maybe they just had a huge warehouse full of 10 ohm speakers they needed to get rid of... :)

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful replies. The 4 ohm speakers are much easier to find than the 10 ohms ones. WWS944, the explanation about the amount of bass from the rear speakers, and why was really interesting.

I always get excellent help here, this is a great forum !

That could explain why after i put an amplifier in it messed up my old radio. I've been thinking of taking my sub out and putting 6x9 conversion with some good bass speakers.

I switched to 6X9's in the back on my old '89 and now on my '88. Big improvement.

Presently running these Infinity Kappa 3-ways in the back (With matching rounds up front):

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-693-9i-speaker-3-way/dp/B001HL0UAG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330117467&sr=8-3

2 ohm resistance, BTW. The product literature claims the lower impedance results in more volume. Seat of the pants, seems to be true. It seems like i gots way more volume and bass than ever before.

I listen to techno-type crap mostly so I like a lot of bass and sparkling highs at significant volume. Left the door tweeters in as well for extra brightness and directionality.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Rawja, just make sure your amplifier is rated to support the 2 ohm impedance speakers. Most auto amps are anymore, but some may not be. Puts a lot more stress on the output amplifier stages, and will do damage if not designed for it.

Also make sure when you mix and match speakers you maintain the impedance value you need. Dual coil speakers and separate bass and treble drivers can get you in trouble if you don't pay attention.

If I had a '88-'89, I'd swap in the 6x9 boxes as well. Given comparable quality speakers, the 6x9s could be worth an extra half octave of bass compared to a 6.5".

As far as driving speakers that are a 2 ohm load, I won't hazard an opinion on how well the Delco amplifiers in our Reattas will hold up. We would have to know which transistors/ICs they used in the output circuitry, details of the circuitry in general, how much heat sinking is there, etc. It may be ok at normal listening levels. But take your car to one of those "db drag races", run it continuously at high volume with the bass turned way up, and you may find otherwise.

To get slightly technical, impedance seen by the stereo depends on the frequency of the signal. There are impedance peaks and dips - especially in the bass region below 200 hz. So one would want to know the natural resonance frequency, the Fs, of the speaker, how wide that resonance is (Qs), and how it is matched to the enclosure, the 10 cu ft trunk, resonance point(s) and Q, to find the points(s) of lowest impedance. I suspect that GM speced 10 ohm speakers to avoid any impedance drop issues with resonances in the trunk - where much deeper bass can be emitted than from the doors. Or maybe they just had a huge warehouse full of 10 ohm speakers they needed to get rid of ...

Nice explanation!